Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY's Southern Tier

Old 12-20-2003, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NY's Southern Tier

Does anyone on this board actually hunt in the Southern Tier of NY, like Binghamton, Owego, Elmira area
I live In Vestal, saw tons of deer this season too.

And the size of the Browns she gives up!? AWESOME
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh, quite now. You don't want every one from Cayuga over there do you?
Old 12-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think last year there was some absurd number of deer you could legally take like 7 or 8?? That's simply insane. Please DEC retract some of this BS. I think I also have a bit of a yote problem here too. I shot 13 during deer season. I want to hunt them off season but have no idea how. Although I guess I did pretty well just sitting on stand.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh, quite now. You don't want every one from Cayuga over there do you?
and yes ..... shhhhhhhhhhhhhh Charlie, myself, and you can thin them out nicely without everyone knowing lol. The browns are truly amazing in that lake. How bout the surge of walleyes at the north end..... wow!!!I'll tell you anothe thing for a lake that's known for being a "trout" lake........... Those smallmouths arent shy about getting big and plentiful.. Now burn this message as soon as you read it!!
Old 12-20-2003, 02:32 PM

Not to take anything away from Cayuga or Seneca, because they actually do harbor fish of the same size as Owasco. Maybe not the Walleyes, but the rest are all there in size. It's just easier to fish Owasco. Of course, it did get a little more expensive, especially if you launch at South Shore Marina. That dude must have a mighty hefty mortgage payment! You pay to launch and then he bangs you for more money to park in his lot. I don't even think he ownes all the property that he's parking vehicles on. I'm expecting a "For Sale" sign to pop up there anytime now! I wonder if we're going to have to pay to walk across his property to ice fish this year. He'll probably be up there at first ice with a money belt and day passes!
Hey, Charlie P, I live up in the Town of Maine and other than maybe Montana or Iowa, I'd never move. We really are blessed in this area. I'm sure you'll agree.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:22 PM

i don't know geographically where you are from jamestown ny, but i do most of my shopping there because it's about 30 minutes from my house. it seems as soon as you cross the border into ny, there's deer EVERYWHERE!! it doesn't matter what time of the day it is either, it can be 7 am or 1 pm.....deer deer and more deer. i'm actually thinking of getting a ny liscence next year. i have noticed that 90% of the land up there is posted. i'de like to find somebody to show me around the area up there..... i would most certainly return the favor.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

J-Bow, were do you hang out?

You ever Ice fish the river?
Old 12-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jbow I agree with you about South Shore. The guy is an arse. Launch at the North end. It's a lot better for launching and it's only $3.00. Besides that, that's where all the dang fish are!!! I grew up on the lake and fished it all my life.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:22 PM

BoyScout,
You're way West of me! I'm just above Binghamton. But you're just below two of the best counties in NY for Deer hunting! Chautauqua and Cattaraugus counties have a pretty good rep as far as numbers of bucks killed every year. Actuall, the whole NY/PA border from Tioga County(NY) West is supposed to be good. A lot of land up here is posted. All the land I hunt is posted, but a knock on the door got me in all these places. Just because someone says no doesn't mean they all will. Keep trying. Farmers don't like Deer, but Deer love farmers. That's where to start and I'm sure there's plenty of active farms out that way. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2003, 06:39 PM

CharlieP,
I hang out mostly at work anymore. Other than that, in the woods and on Rainbow/Steelhead streams. I've never ice fished the Susquehanna because I really don't feel comfortable with moving water under the ice I stand on. I know guys kill 'em there, but I stick to still water like Owasco, Whitney Pt, Eaton Brook Res., Guilford Lake and some small private ponds. Mostly Crappie and Perch. I put a lot more effort into Steelies. I'm heading out tomorrow to hit a few Finger Lakes tribs. I hunt around my house and then four properties just over in Tioga County. A buddy lives over in Pine City, just SouthWest of Elmira and we hunt his property about once a season. The rest of my hang out time is with the wife and my two boys. Can't forget playtime on the house also!
Old 12-20-2003, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey J-Bow just because your areas are loaded with deer, doesn't necessarily mean every DMU is the same. Several hunters saying they had a bad season should be telling you something more then hunters not spending a good amount of time in the woods. I had a bad season, I didn't see anywhere's near the deer this year in my hunting areas I have in the past. I took 27 days off from work, and hunted everyone plus every wknd. My season started 9/27 with early Northern Tier archery, through all southern tier seasons ending with late season muzzleloader. Many of my friends, and co-workers also had bad seasons. More then usual. So it would appear some parts of the state are not so populated as one would think. I walked areas I've always seen deer in after a snow, and never cut a single track. This was the strangest hunting season I've ever experienced in 20yrs of hunting!!
Old 12-20-2003, 08:22 PM

J-bow i'm a Pa transplant to the southern tier (Endicott) Lived here for three years now. Can't find any land to hunt on just don't know anybody. So I make trips down to Pa during the season. Sure would like to try and get some permission to hunt deer here in Broome or Tioga. Think maybe you can hook me up.

Quick Reply: NY's Southern Tier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.