Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Not hearing too many stories from the NJ firearms week

Old 12-10-2003, 10:34 PM

Default Not hearing too many stories from the NJ firearms week

So how is everyone doing?
Old 12-11-2003, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Not hearing too many stories from the NJ firearms week

Took a 6pt on Monday...50yd shot with 000 in the neck...Not many shots. Only 2 deer taken on Monday by our club in zone 11.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Our club took 3 bucks on Monday but everyone saw lots of deer and a few bucks. I didnt do the pruning needed in the offseason and couldnt get the bead on a decent 6pt as he passed thru some cedars.

I didnt go Tuesday but it appeared quiet in Zone 2. However, there was a big buck spotted running the fields around 12pm.

Sat should be fun as today's weather will put the deer down.

Bob
Old 12-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

shot a six tuesday on public land in zone 12.

my 2003 buck
Old 12-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

hunted with my friend club down in zone 21. we hunted greenwood and lebanon state forests.

didn't here many shots at all. maybe a dozen at best in 2 days of hunting. we saw 4 deer hanging at one club, and 2 at another.

we did some drives and saw some deer, but no bucks.

p.s. the state land hunting is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. there were only 2 other clubs i ran into in the entire park.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the useful information. Zone 18 was pretty wild on Monday. Lots of shots, lots of deer and lot's of snow lol.

Partner took a spike as he needed the meat badly. Very few drives by clubs but they seemed to be quite effective.

Saturday should be something different.

We'll see.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go Kobear!!

Going out tomorrow--good luck.

Bob
Old 12-12-2003, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey catskill i had 2 different clubs in zone 21 drive right by me in less than 3 hours. if you were hunting in a stand instead of driving you would understand. those clubs are very rude! and think they own the woods. i dont think how they hunt is very manly but i dont knock the 100 man drives as those pines are pretty big and the deer get through the drives because they try to drive too big a piece of land. most small clubs i know sit the first couple hours in the morning then drive the mid morning to afternoon then sit for the late afternoon. [:@] i think thats a better way for all!
Old 12-13-2003, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

GOT A 144lb. FEMALE BEAR ON SATURDAY MORNING AT 9:30am
Old 12-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Just got back. Our group did very well in zone 11. We went 4 for 4 on Monday with all 6 pointers. All were 1 1/2 year old deer. My buddy was the first to get his at about 7:30. Mine came along at 8:30 with a spike. When I shot, a doe and a real nice buck, that I didn't even know were there, bolted from a thicket 80 yards in front of me. My Dad also seen 8 different bucks that morning, mostly small ones but 2 dandys, till he got his at 11:00. Then the icing on the cake came at about 1:00 when we were loading my Dad's buck into the truck when we hear 2 shots come from where my Mom sits behind their house. A minute later she comes on the radio and says she got a 6 pointer! Allright, 4 for 4!!! Tuesday we didn't see one buck while sitting on stand all day. Wednesday morning we sat and no bucks were sighted. After lunch we decided to put on a one man push in a 5 acre cedar thicket. My buddy Tom volunteered to walk and my Dad and I were the sitters. I sat in a ground blind that I built years ago and haven't hunted it in a while. My Dad sat in my Mom's ground blind. Well, the first deer I see come out was a small doe. Then a few minutes later, here they come from my right, 30 yards away and pass right in front of me. First one was a doe then a 4 pointer, then a string of about 15 does. All this time I am not moving a muscle, just my eyes. I think my snow camo really helped also. All of a sudden, I see horns, BIG horns. Not one but 2! I let the first one go by hopeing when I shoot the 2nd one, the 1st one will go to my Dad. I shoot and he drops but the other one went off to the side nowhere near my Dad. He is a real nice even 10. He has an 18" outside spread and 6 " G2's. One thing is, there was a puss wound on his back from an arrow that an archer shot too high. We had to discard the back half when we skinned 'em out, didn't want to chance it, but the rest is being made into hot dogs. Thursday was a butchering day. No bucks on Friday and only one seen from a distance by my Dad on Saturday. So we had an exellent week and I will be back with the muzzleloader to try for that other big guy!

Quick Reply: Not hearing too many stories from the NJ firearms week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.