Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Not hearing too many stories from the NJ firearms week

Old 12-14-2003, 01:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Not hearing too many stories from the NJ firearms week

its the same in the pine barrens. the deer i pass on all during the archery season are nothing but a number to the many clubs. the state should follow like pennsylvania and limit it to the 3 points on one side with a minimum of 1 inch on a spike. if anything i think it will force people to look real good before they pull the trigger which would make things safer i bet. people have to change from there old ways and stop living in the past and start practicing conservation. why should hunters have to go ino the woods and feel they better kill anything with horns or the next guy will. this is the attitude of many and im getting bored of it. we set size limits on fish why not deer.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

Bow....Your group had a good week..

Had 3 bucks on saturday just out of range..A big wide 8 or 10 was leading the way....Hope to see him when I have the smokepole...
Old 12-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

We sure did jersyjoe. Monday was THE best opening day we have had in a long time. Bucks were everywhere. That 5 acre cedar thicket I talked about earlier is our ace in the hole. It is bordered by property that the owner only bow hunts. As a matter of fact, he is part owner of Ballistic Archery who make Steel Force Broadheads. Anyway, deer from other properties also go in there once the shooting starts. We leave it alone for a few days then just send 1 or 2 guys thru there slow and quietly. Sometimes they go out the side to us, other times they don't. This time they did
Old 12-16-2003, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Cedar thickets are the ticket Bow. We have 2 of them on our property. It's amazing how many deer they hold in the late season..
Old 12-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

I agree Joe--I have probably shot more than half my deer near or coming out of cedars. Our club is called Cedar Hill and we haev 3 large cedar fields that are deer magnets. We do not drive at all but surrounding farms push them onto our lease.

We took a total of 9 bucks between early ML and shotgun and most of the bucks were going to/from the cedars.

My lack of pruning caught up to me on the opener when 2 bucks were shielded by the trees. I did connect on the ML opener w/a nice 7pt though.

Bob
Old 12-17-2003, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Glad you got one 88. I'll be in the "cedars" on Saturday with the .54

I'm on a quest to get that big dude.....
Old 12-17-2003, 11:47 AM

Well apparently someone has. I just drove past a deer that has been field dressed and thrown on the side of the road. I didn't get a chance to see what it was cause I couldn't belive the stomach was sliced cleanly.

I would have stopped and pulled it to the side but It is on an on ramp and I could not reverse. I'll go back after work and check it out. man that [:@] me off. Not even close to being in the woods and you can't hunt anywhere near the area it was in.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:20 PM

don't jump to conclusions, when you go back and check, you may find a band on it where it was checked in, then feel off somebodies truck. who knows, someone may be wondering where their deer got to
Old 12-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Go get 'em joe! I won't be back up to Rosemont with the frontend loader 'till after Christmas. Good luck!