Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

My first kill today!

Old 11-23-2003, 06:25 PM

Default My first kill today!

Man! I am pumped. Just got my first kill ever this morning.
It was only a small doe, but it' s a monster in my eyes.
Sorry for the long post, but I just gotta get it out!!
6:10 - Climbed into tree overlooking a point on a ridge. Got situated and comfortable.
6:45 - I see a flicker of 2 white things behind the base of tree on the edge of the ridge. Watch for a minute and see nothing else. Hmmm, maybe it was a bird or squirrel.
6:50 - Here comes a nice little doe from behind the tree and up over the point of the ridge. She' s facing up and toward me. She doesn' t see me, but I don' t want to move yet.
6:51 - A second doe comes out right behind the first. A little smaller, but still a deer. They are both moving at 30 yards in front of me to the ridge on the left of me.
6:53 - The first one is now broadside, but behind some thick brush and saplings.
6:55 - She is now broadside and slightly angled toward me. I am now looking down the barrel of the trusty Mossberg 500 through the BSA red dot sight. Red dot located on her kill zone. Instinctive squeeze of the trigger. BOOM! Hmmm. She doesn' t even flinch. Thinking to myself, Is that normal? Did I miss? I couldn' t have missed. Bingo! She bounces straight up and starts trotting down the hill. 10 yards and she goes nose first into the leaves and starts tumbling down the steep hill.
The second doe jumped and started moving back in the direction they came in from when I fired the first shot. When the first doe started moving downhill, the second one turned around and started following the first. Wow! I can get both. She' s trotting, so I lead on her, but too far. I hit a stump about 6 inches in front. Now she jumps and starts moving faster downhill. I lead on her again. This time i won' t miss. Boom! Crack! Just as I squeezed, she was coming up on a sapling. Did quite the number on that tree. She' s still in view, but I decide that any other shot now would be a low percentage shot. May wound instead of kill.
7:00 - I saw where the first one lay, I get down and go see her. No blood at first, but 20 yards downhill, it begins to look like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Massive amounts of blood everywhere. Must be a good hit. Sure enough. I must have pulled left on my shot, as the entrance wound went through her shoulder and exited at her elbow on the other side.
7:10 - Back at camp to get my father-in-law. Need some help gutting.
7:30 - Drag the doe down the hill further 30 yards next to the creek down below.
After gutting the deer, I inspect the slug' s path. Destroyed 1/4 of the heart and shredded half of the left lung. I now feel confident and proud.

Guesstimated weight is 95lbs. She' s still hanging at camp and going to the butcher tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My first kill today!

i wann be the first one to say congrats!!! you cant eat antlers, and the young taste better.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Way to go! I got my first last year as well.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:27 PM

Nice job!!! I still haven' t gotten one in 4 years, pretty pathetic if u ask me, but I' ve never seen a deer walking, or even close to being stopped in range, all the ones I' ve shot at have been running, so this year has to be my year.

But anyways, Way To Go!!!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:06 PM

The first one is always the one you' ll remember [:-] congrats
Old 11-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey maybe you should change your handle to " little doemaster" .
Just kidding, congratulations. My first was the same and I was proud as a peacock when I had it hanging when my father arrived at camp
Good luck, hope there are many more to come.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:10 PM

CONGRATS!!!! [8D]
Old 11-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Spike

Im not bragging but I must have killed over 100 deer, doe' s and some nice bucks. Even now I still get that rush that it seems you got. The first is the best but it will be just as good after you shoot your 100th deer. When you loose that feeling sell the guns and sleep in late on yor hunting days.

Congrats... Save the memories
Old 11-25-2003, 01:18 PM
JCC

Way to go!!! Congrats!