Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY shooting

Old 11-18-2003, 10:24 AM

Default NY shooting

First day hunting in southern NY and someone allready shot. Guy shot at deer,... buddy gets hit in nose. They were wearing orange, lets use the rules we have been taught and know what our target is, and what is beyond, " KNOW YOUR SURROUNDINGS" . Accidents like this do not need to happen.

Old 11-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY shooting

It' s a shame that it happend but stories like this are all to common. [:' (]
Old 11-19-2003, 09:47 PM

Opening morning my brother and I left the woods 1 hour before sunrise. It was like there was a platoon on a search and destroy mission niether one of us wanted to see all the lead flying at dawn.[:' (] I dont rember ever bieng so nervous watching all those flashlights thrashing through the woods. Some weren' t 100 yards from each other.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was always taught to make the 1st shot count. I hunt with my muzzleloader now during Southern Tier regular season , unless the weathers really foul. Personnally I' d like to see the DEC limit shotguns to a 3 shot plug. This might slow down the ones that just love to fly lead, and make their shots count. My brother got a decent buck opening morning. When he looked the deer over it had alreadly been hit 3x' s. 1 in the ear breaking off a point, another in the lower neck, and the 3rd right up the butt. I just don' t understand guys, and their shooting. Not to mention why so many wait until the day before to shoot their shotguns, and get sighted in.
Its pathetic in my opinion!
Old 11-20-2003, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

I was out bright and early opening day all set up in my spot. The woods wrer quiet until about 8:40 when I hear a rustle coming over a ridge. Out pops this dumb a$$ wearing a pair of carhart bibs and a gray hooded sweatshirt! I let him get about 40 yards from me and I whistle, he finally looks up and see' s my orange. He proceeds to walk over to chat, first I tell him it is not cool to interupt anothers hunting with conversation and 2nd that he looks like a deer going thru the woods. His reply was that was all he had to wear! I sure hope he has a suit for the funeral, or would the funeral home provide him one. AMAZING! BTW this was in the war zone in Sterling Forest
Old 11-20-2003, 10:15 AM

Rodsmith did you tell him that would probably be the last thing he would wear also, being so stupid? Some people never stop amazing me.

BuckAlley glad to hear your brother got one, it' s to bad it had been shot up though[:' (]. Seems like this type of garbage is happening more and more. I can understand acouple getting away but I can' t stand these folks that shoot and never even look. I live up north, this year wasn' t as bad as others (maybe because of the limits), but I hate the first day, sounds like a dang war sometimes. You would also think these folks would go to a gun range or even a buddy' s farm to site in, put it doesn' t happen. I once talked to a guy that said the only time his gun gets shot is when he shoots at a deer. If he doesn' t see any deer for 4 years then the gun doesn' t get fired for 4 years[]

Revnow1 I know exactly how you feel, makes a person wounder if there are really that many deer around. It seems like as soon as the sun comes up all you hear is BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG[:' (] I was talking to a guy that owns a farm he had given some folks some permission to hunt on his land. He was out one morning and counted over 40 shots, once things quieted down he got out of the woods. Well he saw the folks he had given permision to and asked if they knew what was going on, they(2 of them) said " heck ya we shot a deer." He ask " where is it?" they said " he!! that thing has so many holes we weren' t about to even try to drag it out" . They were laughing and thought it was real funny[:' (][:' (] The guy has never let anyone else on his property to hunt, he figured if a person of the law could act this way then anyone could. That' s right, these 2 jerks were cops that came up from the city. He never told the law, this happened many years ago, but he still wishes now that he had.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

what I wanted to say and do was to present him with my rattling antlers and tell him that this will complete your costume. Now go get hunted. Hard to believe that a person who ventures into the woods during ANY season does not have some sort of RED clothing in the entire wardrobe. I sure am glad that am a patient hunter and absolutely ID the game and the shot. Had I not,,,,,,,, I dont know how to field dress MORONS.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:57 AM

Rodsmith when you learn how to field dress morons you' ll have to write a book
Old 11-23-2003, 06:35 PM

Rodsmith, the group I hunt with had a similar thing happen last year. We were driving a set of woods. A guy that lives next to the woods slipped in after we dropped of the drivers and set the spotters at the other end. A couple of the guys saw a small buck and took a couple of shots at it. When they went to get it, this guy came walking out from behind a tree not 20 yards from where the deer was and about 10 yards from where the deer was shot. He claimed to have shot the deer as well.
To make a long story short, the guy came out wearing yellow barn boots, a grey sweatshirt, and woodland camo pants.
Morons are everywhere.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Morons are everywhere.
It sucks but its true...oh well thats life