Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Got my first buck of 2003... on I83

Old 11-03-2003, 05:46 AM

Default Got my first buck of 2003... on I83

It was funny - I was just thinking to myself how if you live in PA, it is only a matter of time before you have a run-in or near miss with a deer. An hour later, I saw a shadow step out in front of a road construction sign on I83 south of York, and just had a chance to hit the brakes before walloping a small (but legal!) buck. I felt my truck lift up over him, and I stopped about 25 yards further while hearing his rack scrape the side. I got out on an unfortunately small shoulder, and walked around. Funny - my first reaction was to go for my gutting knife. But anyhow, I didn' t see him. The woman behind me was stopped too, on the mini-shoulder as well. I THOUGHT she was there to see if everything was okay. I walked over to her car to tell her all was well, where she proceeded to start yelling at me - she said " This is so dangerous for me!!! Keep moving!!! He jumped into the woods!" I couldn' t believe it - how he had enough oomph to jump into the woods OR how this woman was bawling me out. So much for being neighborly.

Anyhow, since he was gone, and this wasn' t a great place to be stopped, I pulled off of the next exit. Amazingly, there was no major damage to the vehicle. The front quarterpanel was dented, and there are scratches from his rack down the side, but not even a broken headlight. I think I dodged a major bullet!

I' m sure you all know, but be careful out there driving ANYWHERE after dark!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my first buck of 2003... on I83

Wow, you did get luck with that one. I hit a buck a few years ago in my Camaro. Ended up needing a hood, fender, headlight and new paint. [:@]
Old 11-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grizzlybear, You hit one of my bucks!! Just kidding, Glad your ok!! I probably live within 5 minutes of where you hit that deer. I hope you get another buck in 2003 but I hope your in a tree stand next time. Pike
Old 11-04-2003, 10:58 PM

I had a court date concerning my visitation with my son 2 years a go in November. I live 125 miles from my hometown so i bow hunted after work, then drove home. I only saw a small 4 point on stand but hit an 8 point on the way home. the rental vehicle cost $1000 for the month it took them to fix mine. Unfortunately I could only find 1 side of the deer' s rack and that was the last buck I harvested which my buddies still enjoy reminding me about.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:44 PM

Aww. The best thing about PA. The roads, and non-existing shoulders. Your lucky you didn' t get stuck in the ditch.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with you about it only being a matter of time. Luckily, I have only had one situation when a deer actually hit my truck and not the other way around. It was a doe so I did not have to worry about the scratches.... She got right back up and walked away like nothing happened. It surprised the heck out of me.