Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any buck sign in Maine?

Old 11-02-2003, 04:36 AM

Default Any buck sign in Maine?

I was out hunting all day yesterday and didn' t come across one scrape or rub. Last year there was sign everywhere. Did anyone else find anything at all? Maybe their just not as revved up in my hunting area. I got the middle two weeks of the season off so maybe by then they' ll be all over the place. Good luck all.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:29 AM

Default RE: Any buck sign in Maine?

Hi there janc!

I live/hunt up in northern Maine. I spent most of my opening day scouting for sign while I hunted. The deer seem to be hanging out mostly up high on the ridges. I saw lots of tracks in the wet leaves, but didn' t find any scrapes or rubs. I decided to try out some tarsal supreme I had bought, to see if I could get the bucks worked up. I doused my boots, and walked in a big loop.....when I got back to my starting point, I was amazed to see two smoking fresh scrapes with a huge track in them! I opened up the scrapes more with my boot, and gave each a good dose of tarsal scent. I then followed the tracks in the leaves, and did find a small green rub. I thought it was probably made by a smaller buck, but I' m not positive. Anyway, I kept tracking him and must have pushed a little too hard, because I jumped him. I kept on him, since my father was down by the road, and I was hoping to push the buck by him. My plan worked, except my father had walked to the vehicle about 1 minute too soon. It was amazing to see how far the tracks sank into the hard gravel road......definitely a big deer! Can' t wait for tomorrow, I' m hoping to see the area torn up by that big buck. I think I like the tarsal supreme.....sure seemed to get a reaction!
Old 11-02-2003, 11:04 AM

Too bad about that push. You' ll get him eventually. Maybe they' re just starting to get worked up. Think I' ll see if I can find some of that tarsel supreme. Good luck in your hunting endeavors.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:19 PM

Yeah it seems they are just now starting to get into rutting mode. I think me using that tarsal scent kind of triggered a dominance reaction in that buck. Can' t wait to see how those scrapes look tomorrow.....I may set up just downwind of them or maybe move farther back on the trail he was using....haven' t decided yet. This is definitely the buck I want to hunt!

Yeah it wouldn' t hurt to try the tarsal supreme out. I was doubtful about scents because I' ve never had luck with doe urine, but I was pleasantly surprised with this stuff. Good luck to you as well, hope you get a big one!
Old 11-04-2003, 05:48 PM

split hoof. what part of maine your from and hunt? i live in central maine and hunt in starks/ solon area if your familiar with that.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:23 AM

I live and hunt in the Allagash area. Not many deer up here compared to central and southern parts of the state, but we do have some big ones!