Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Hunters any sign of Pre-Rut

Old 10-31-2003, 07:40 AM

Default PA Hunters any sign of Pre-Rut

Any of you out there seeing any signs of the pre-rut, especially you guys in central PA. I hunt just over the mountain from State College near Jullian on a Private Farm and last saturday I heard a loud grunt before daybreak and then from the same area deer running back and forth. It deffinitly was deer and not a herd of those fuzzy little rats. Thought it could have been a buck chasing a doe but it was dark and never did get to see that. But the funny thing is i' m not seeing scrapes yet and very little rub activity. And I know there are at least 4 shooter bucks on the property with 3 other spikes running around. Is anyone else having problems like this this year. Are you seeing and sings of the rut approaching?
Old 10-31-2003, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA Hunters any sign of Pre-Rut

Things are heating up in NW PA. I' ve seen a HUGE increase in scraping and rubbing in the last week. I' m getting reports that guys are seeing some seeking and chasing, but I haven' t seen any of it yet myself. I imagine about this time next week bucks will be in high gear in search of love....at least I hope so, I have 11/6-11/12 off to sit in the stand all day.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:50 AM

I' m starting to find some scrapes and more rubs but haven' t actually seen any deer activity. I have been skunked my last 2 nights out.

Last week, my dad watched a small buck chasing a group of does around.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

On my buddies property in Clearfield County, which isn' t too far from you, we have found several scrape lines but have yet to find any rubs. This should start to change very soon though. Was out during the early ML season and really didn' t see much of anything. Good luck and have a successful season.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hear in the S.E. where I' m hunting the property is just loaded with both rubs and scrapes.I had 2 buck respond big time to a doe in heat can. Its satretd here
Old 11-01-2003, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a big boy (8 - 10 point) respond to a grunt tube a couple days ago. He come across a small clearing ready to fight, but when he didn' t see a buck waiting, he hung up at about 50 yards. [:@]

Earlier that same day, i saw a small 4 pointer chasing hard on a doe.

So my assumption would say, the rut is or almost is here.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got back from my cabin in Somerset Co.,and saw some real good and fresh rubs,watched a small buck working a scrape tht actually looked like an elk wallow.Saw 12 doe today and didn' t see one buck.Being a little warm today may have kept the activity down a bit.