Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NH Youth Hunt Accident?

Old 10-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default NH Youth Hunt Accident?

Anyone heard about a 10yr old accidentaly shooting someone in NH today during a youth hunt? It ran across the bottom of the screen real quick while I was watching the news but they never did a story on it. I' m just curios if anyone has the full details.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:26 PM

Default RE: NH Youth Hunt Accident?

Hey MassBowhunter,
I briefly caught it as well, I believe it was a bowhunter that got wounded, by a ten year old, that was hunting with his father. I haven' t seen all the information yet, have to wait for the 11:00 news..... I' ll try to see what else i can find out, last I knew they hadn' t released names yet....
Old 10-27-2003, 09:05 PM

From what I heard the guy was shot with buckshot, and got a pellet in each leg and one in his hand. That' s pretty much all I got for details.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:25 AM
Spike

It was a bow hunter from conneticut that got shot by a 10 year old . This happened a couple miles from my house. The shooting took place at 6:10 pm and it was pretty dark with the cloudy weather that night, probably mistook him for a deer as he was in camo.
No names have been released yet .
Old 10-28-2003, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I won' t go into how I feel about what the kid did, but why don' t they require blaze orange when gun season is open?
Old 10-28-2003, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

hey mass, the better question is the kid was hunting with his dad. how could dad let him shoot?
Old 10-28-2003, 01:21 PM

That is the same question that crossed my mind. Thats one reason youth cant hunt by themselves.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the hard way of learning to be 100% sure of what you are shooting at. Too bad some people have to learn by their mistakes when it comes to safety issues[X(]
Old 10-28-2003, 05:33 PM

All I ever heard was the same as nhhuntr, tried to find more, but there wasn' t a lot. I have to agree with vtbuckrulrss though, I was out with my son this weekend, beside him the whole time, I don' t understand how the father could let him shoot..... as far as hunter/blaze orange, it has always been only a recomendation in NH, even during rifle season.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

I feel the same way about his Dad being with him and how could he do what he did. I was hoping to find out some more info on it to see exactly what happened before I voiced my opinion on the two though.

There' s always the possibility that since the kid was using buckshot they may have been walking out, jumped a deer that the fully camo' d bowhunter was watching, shot at it, and then some stray pellets hit the bowhunter.

Personally I make sure I' m well aware of my surroundings before I ever shoot but if someone is in full camo, not moving and possibly behind some bushes (that won' t stop buckshot) then it would be pretty tough to see the bowhunter to be able to make the decision not to shoot.

If it' s a case like that than it' s tough to place the blame on anyone. Hence the reason full camo and firearms don' t seem to mix in my mind. Thats how the laws have always been up here though so thats all I' ve ever known.

Thats just my thoughts on it. I guess I' m just trying to be an optimist for the sake of the sport.

Quick Reply: NH Youth Hunt Accident?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.