Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NH Youth Hunt Accident?

Old 10-28-2003, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NH Youth Hunt Accident?

Wish I knew more about it but anyway, When in my stand all camo-ed out And there are gun hunters around I always have a flourecent orange cap that I either wave at them or wear till they leave. This is usually in small game season as I pick up my own gun during firearm season.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

just another thought on this, if it was bow season AND youth season at the same time, who is the idiot to schedule those two seasons concurrently? gun and archery should never, ever be going on at the same time.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:25 PM

Having bow seasons that last so long, its hard not to. I know in pa there is turkey, smallgame, youth hunts and others going on at the same time. The only alternitave is to shorten archery. ??
Old 10-29-2003, 05:44 AM
Spike

My son was 8 yrs old yesterday. I gave him his first pocket knife for his birhtday. At this point I can' t see him starting to go hunting at 10. Even though the state says you can hunt at the young age of 10 you need to see if your child is ready yet. My father made me wait till I was 12. My son may have to wait till he' s 12 also. Not sure yet. I was skeptical about the pocket knife at 8. May not seem a big deal to some but I' ll watch his responsibility with it.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Jersey: Bow season starts in Sept. and with the right permits lasts until middle of Feb.
Firearm season starts end of Sept. and with the proper permits lasts also to the middle of Feb.

The gun hunter might not be able to see the archer but there is no reason the archer shouldn' t be able to hear and see a gun hunter walking through the woods in blaze orange. (If he doesn' t hows he supposed to see a deer?) He then has the option of letting the hunter go by or letting him know he is there.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:05 PM

This is all I could find so far......

Injuries: non-life threatening

On Saturday, October 25, 2003, at approximately 6:10 p.m., a hunting-related shooting occurred in Charlestown, N.H., off South Hemlock Hill Road. According to Conservation Officer John Wimsatt, the victim -- a 31-year-old male from Bristol, Connecticut -- was shot by a 10-year old minor who was accompanied by his father. The pair was participating in the Youth Hunting Weekend for Deer. The boy and his father are from Charlestown.

The victim was archery hunting when he suffered non-life-threatening buckshot pellet wounds to the right hand and both legs.

The matter is under investigation by the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, New Hampshire State Police Troop C, Charlestown Police Department and the Sullivan County Attorney' s Office.

Youth Hunting Weekend for Deer is an opportunity for youths under 16 to learn hunting skills and ethics with the undivided attention of an adult mentor, who must be a licensed hunter.

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department reminds hunters and all outdoor enthusiasts to wear appropriate, highly visible clothing in the field and woodlands this fall. Each person should wear a fluorescent " hunter orange" hat, vest or jacket. It' s also recommended that pets wear a hunter orange collar or bandanna.

Old 10-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

i don' t know if having our hunting seasons not run over each helps out, but here in vermont, we have a very, very low amount of hunting-related accidents, not positive, but i think on average less than 5(or is it 10) per year. our seasons run archery for 23 days in october, rifle season 12 days before thanksgiving, and for four days after, for a total of sixteen. in december, we do have a nine day muzzleloader season and another archery season. except for dec, our implement-specific seasons don' t mix/overlap. and while i think this is not nearly enough days to hunt, i know some wives/girlfriends that would differ.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:55 AM
Spike

In nh we get 3 full months sep15 thru dec 15 to bow hunt. The state shouldn' t have to mandate common sense .
If bow hunting during rifle season I wear a reversible vest orange walking in get in stand turn it around , orange walking out again, even thou I rarely see another hunter in the area I hunt.
Not to make any excuses for this guy who let his kid shoot but all this bow hunter had to do was turn his flashlight on while walking out and this wouldn' t have happened.
I' ve seen alot of guys that hunt in full camo during rifle guess what they looked like? Guys in camo not deer, never tried to shoot one .
Gotta head to my tree stand for an hour before work.

Be safe.