Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

im one in ten thousand

Old 10-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: im one in ten thousand

Got my permit tonight. Now to go get that bear that shared in the hind leg of a deer I shot last year and had to recover the next day. I' ll teach him. Also if your lucky enough to tag one the Division wants you to save the reproductive tract. (uterus and ovaries) in a plastic bag for examination.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:53 PM
jbc

The course covers safety, shot placement, game laws for NJ bear season, field dressing and quartering and skinning.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:24 PM

wherever you are going to hunt find out what day the garbage is picked up and what time. Hunt the edge of the woods just outside the safty zone. The bears seem to know these days and usually a little easier to predict where they will be.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remember the safty zone is measured from the buildings 450' . If the house is set back far from the road the trash may be less than 300' from you and is considered a bait pile. You can' t hunt there from a tree stand or blind.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

just giving an update on my scouting efforts. i called the newark watershed and they want to charge me 30$ to hunt on there land and that i wasnt the first phone call asking about bear hunting there. she told me there was no particular problems with the local bears and that they have no more population of bears as any state gamelands. boy she told me! anyway i might check out some other nearby game lands. stay tuned!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:43 PM
jbc

no particular problems
That' s funny... 65% of the complaints fall within the watershed property.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

i figured as much! i was hoping to get some statistics on population numbers and problem areas to give me an idea where to check out for hunting but my buddy who just took the bear course down south at georgian college said nobody asked the questions at the class and the people giving the course didnt know much. the class was only an hour and a half long with the video being mostly the one you get when you sign up to take the hunters education course.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:40 AM
jbc

Some of the video was from the hunters education home study course but much of it was new, including the dressing/skinning/quartering portion of the video.

Believe me, nobody knows the bear of NJ better than the biologists giving the course, but they are not going to give you scouting information. As a matter of fact they are not permitted to take part in the hunt.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

im in no way asking for someone to do my physical scouting for me this is why i started the question. i dont expect the biologists to tell me where the 600lb. radio collered bear is located but i expect some basic questions answered such as estimated state wide population and what is the carrying capacity of the state. if there is a log of nuscence bear reports obviously having this info could play key in starting my search for gamelands or state parks. if you were hunting only trophy deer you would check the records from kills and hunt only those counties its that simple! i was just commenting on my buddy from work and the particular class he took. from what he gathered it was at best an interesting class but more or less just red tape to go through to have the privilage to hunt bear which i am willing to do
Old 10-31-2003, 06:33 PM
jbc

It is mentioned in the class and video that there are between 2000-3000 bear in the area West of 287 and North of 78. Carring capacity is somewhere around 500-600.

Ask questions at your seminar. They will answer them.

Quick Reply: im one in ten thousand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.