Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

any early pa muzzeloader doe hunters have any luck

Old 10-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: any early pa muzzeloader doe hunters have any luck

I bumped a big doe while still hunting and saw a scrub 8pt on my drive in in the morning. In the afternoon I saw a bunch of deer, but it was too thick where I was hunting and the wind was swirling....jumped a BIG BUCK in that tangle too. Otherwise, no kill for me.....we' ll see what tonight brings.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:08 AM

We saw a 6 pointer but no does, and I had a few blue jays yelling at me and saw some turkeys. When I went back to my truck, a Game Warden pulled up and asked to see my tags. He looked them over asked a few questions, and then left.

Where I hunt, they put up a few homes and I think the one guys doesn' t like people hunting behind his house even though my neighbor owns the property. He probably calls the Game Commission every time someone hunts there even though we are far enough from his home. He has barking dogs plus shoots his guns the regular first day of deer. After someone shot, he started turkey calling but no one came since we are hunting deer, not turkeys.

Tom
Old 10-22-2003, 01:43 PM

WAS LUCKY TO TAKE A NICE DOE ON MONDAY MORNING WITH MY THUNDERHAWK 54CAL ABOUT A 50 YARD SHOT 70 GRAINS OF TRIPLE 777 AND A PERCISION 300 GRAIN SILVER LIGHTING SABOT THE PERCISION SABOT BULLET SPEAKS FOR ITSELF DEER DROP IN HER TRACKS
Old 10-23-2003, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

got my doe last night.....a day after my birthday so i guess that' s not a bad birthday presant......35 yd shot through the heart with a hornady 175gr patched round ball in and out the other side she cartwheeled ran for about 60 yds across a grass field then plied up.........not bad for my first with my new .50 cal T/C hawkins flintlock........thanks to all who replied to my posts to let me know what i needed........ bob
Old 10-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

I got a doe this afternoon at 400pm right after work. I just got in the woods and wasn' t to my stand yet when 3 deer crossed the skid road ahead of me. they all stopped but i only had a shot at one . I hit her right behind the front shoulder with a 348 gr powerbelt 54 cal Hp and she dropped on the spot.The distance was 52 paces.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:44 AM

Got a doe this morning with muzzeloader. 1st does I saw all week.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

I guess that cold spell got them moving more.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

During the first week of archey I saw no doe and three different non shooter buck.
One time all three buck were under my portable climber for about 20 minutes. It was cool to see and hear them grunting to one another. That same evenig I was at full draw on a coyote twice at under 20 yds but branches in a tree close to me would not permit the shot. A little later 8 hen turkey passed under me and 15 minutes after that 2 toms. It was a good night out but still nothing in the freezer.

Finally after several more unsuccessful outings I saw my first doe of the season approaching from my back righthand side. Its path would bring it to my left moving behind me. Only difference was that this time I had my in-line with me.
As it entered my field of view at 15 yds, my crosshairs found a sweet spot just behind the shoulder and bang! a quick crouch, a low to the ground run, and at about 60 yds a loud crash.
Got my first deer with the new in-line and am very much impressed. The 50 cal. powerbelt took out 1 lung and about 1/3 of the heart and exited low behind the left front armpit.
Not the biggest, but it is a doe, and I do have fresh meat in the freezer.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:48 AM

I got a doe the last Saturday, during dusk. I saw a nice buck walk by the lake and a few minutes later 4 does come strolling in. While I was watching them, the first and larget one stuck her nose up to smell something and it was time I took the shot. It was probably almost 70 yards but I hit her high in the neck and she went down and never got up. I used my CVA 50 cal. In-line using 150 grains of Triple 7 and a 295 grain Powerbelt and broke the rifle in nicely.

Tomster