Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How' s everyone' s season going in the first week of PA archery?

Old 10-10-2003, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How' s everyone' s season going in the first week of PA archery?

Seeing alot of deer from the stand. Have footage of some small bucks, but no bigguns yet. Finally got a doe to pose for the camera thursday morning! Gotta love those Theads with all white on video!
Old 10-10-2003, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, my season has been rather poor from the standpoint of seeing deer. I have yet to have one within 70 yards of me not to mention within bow range. Maybe tonight will be different though this warm weather is not really what I like to hunt in.... The beginning of the week was great in that regard.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yucky, almost unhuntable, weather on Saturday. Haven' t hunted since. Will post a picture of my 12 pointer tomorrow night. First I have to shoot it, though.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-10-2003, 06:04 AM

First saturday I had a nothing come any closer than 50-60 ywards the whole morning, with the wind and such they were spooky, and were nervous, so kept moving at all times. Saturday evening, sat on the ground instead of the stand, so i could move around some if I saw they were coming down to the fields from a different direction. Saw 2 fawns, no mom (they were older fawns, really really big) anyway watched them suck-o-lux an area of acorns about 40 yards from me, watched them give each other bathes, play, etc. It was pretty neat to watch.
Wednesday i skipped outta work early to hunt (which is what I am doing today) had a plan and everything :-) I knew they had been using the bottom of this nearby hollow and following it down out, then cutting off and going to the field at the bottom of the hollow. there is a small stream leading down through the middle of the hollow, so I walked up the stream to eliminate as much scent as a i could (can' t afford, and can' t convince myself that I need scent lok) anyway found a nice tree literally right on the stream, so I had nice sound cover, and have a good view of the whole bottom of the hollow. Up the tree I go, get situated. After a little while, i hear noise behind me, and turn around and look and had a big flock of turkeys behind me feeding Well they moved through, then a big fox squirrel started working just in front of my stand so that kept me occupied for at least an hour then about 100 yards to my left up on a knoll, i see a deer moving and get the binocs up, but can' t get a good look at it' s head but i think it was a buck just because of the fact it was completely alone, and i saw it with my naked eye in the sunlight and it looked like there was more than ears up there. Then about 10-15 minutes later I see another deer coming down in the same area, try to binoc it, big deer, but I think it may have been a spike i had seen in preseason scouting. So that was at about 5, and from then til about 6:45-7 or so, I saw nothing, was thinking " I will never use this stand again" . Well it was starting to get dark, and with nothing showing itself I am standing up to lower my bow down and I see some deer moving about 20 yards from me, well it was a big doe and her pretty big fawn, feeding their way down the hollow. I had a couple of easy broadside shots, but held off. As I am watching them to my right i hear crash, bang, snap, rustle rustle rustle from my left side, and I slowly turn and it is another biiiiig doe. She comes into sight and is walking along feeding, and makes a B-line for the tree I am in. She starts drinking from the creek which is about 1 foot from the tree I am in, directly below me. I am looking through the floor of the treestand at her, then she starts feeding to the left of the tree (wind was in my favor, blowing straight down the mountain, so that is why none of them spooked on me) anyway starts going to the left of the tree, and she starts sniffing the ground where I had laid my bow and stuff when i was putting the treestand on. She raised her head up and started trying to wind me, and it was so cool to see her though process and see her reacting to my scent. Well it was all too much for her, and she jogged about 20 yards to the left of the tree and continued like normal feeding down through.
Well by this time the doe and fawn on my right are feeding away, and it is getting really dark by now. Forgot my headlamp, crap. So i lower my bow, and go down the tree, and start taking down the stand. Just then from the top of the hollow I am in I hear this long lonely coyote call.........(take into account, i forgot my headlamp, can;t hear anything coming because of the stream I am practically standing in, in a hollow so the moonlight isn' t helping much since it is still behind the trees, and I am hunting totally alone on this 200 + acres) yes i will admit I was a little nervous, lol I mean I have hunted all my life, but still just that long lonely call sorta blows right through ya :-) Anyway, I hauled arse back to the truck and loaded her up and was outta there for the night. Going back to the area tonight where I saw those 2 deer come down wednesday night and hope the one was really a buck........oh yeah, and I am taking my headlamp this time [8D]
Old 10-10-2003, 06:24 AM

No shots and very little deer here. During the week I can only get out after work.

Saturday - 3
Monday - 3
Tuesday - 2
Wedneday -1
Thursday - 1
Old 10-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Started off a house a fire with action, but have been deerless past 2 nights. I also am unable to hunt my best spots after work with little time. BUt I' ve seen 6 bucks, had one 6 pt in range, witnessed an amazing fox encounter, and last night I saw a big coon. It' ll get better.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:25 AM

Been a rough time for me so far.

<b>Saturday Stand </b>
3 days before opener my brother in law wanted to add 3 feet extension to his ladder stand. Which is 100 yards from mine jumped 3 deer on the way to his stand. he can' t hunt this stand till late October (no babysitter)

Opening Day - Rainout, Hardwoods is tough enough to track a blood trail on the leaves and through the creek without the extra water. Since deer were kicked up near my stand good thing to let the stand rest 10 days. Wife enjoyed one " last Saturday" for the next 6 weeks she knows hell or highwater that come late October and early november that I am there rain or shine.

Scouted 2 other areas after work this week. Late Muzzleloading and rifle season lands. Some nice bucks spotted in rifle areas. No good spots for treestand for archery. Corn crop looks really good and wooded patch too narrow to attempt entry.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:27 AM

So-so thus far. Have seen 3 does, while hunting, saw 15 driving home from hunting and came damn close to hitting 2 with the truck. At least I am seeing deer.

Good luck to all.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:18 AM

I got out 1 day and my deer got at my stand when i did, it was dark so I dont know what they were. Probably doe, I did get to see 3 raccoons in the morning, that was worth the whole trip.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:49 AM

so far i' ve seen a small doe ,and a whole pile of big fat squirrels , i don' t eat squirrels but there is one thats red with a black head , he might meet his maker, and the local taxidermist!

Quick Reply: How' s everyone' s season going in the first week of PA archery?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.