Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WV Earn a Buck Question

Old 07-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Leo new, The land that I hunt here and in Jefferson Co. has really taken a hit on the population. Used to be in Jeff. Co. where I hunt that you could see tons of deer on each hunt and an occasional good buck. Recent years I have hunted there and not even seen a deer on hunts. The bear and coyotes are a big problem as folks really don't go after them. Locally I am pretty much restricted to NF as private ground is either leased or family hunted.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt somewhere around 20,000 acres of private land in Hardy county, see 30-40 deer on an average day, we are getting them thinned down the horns are getting better
1999-2012

2013 bucks

RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 07-13-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Ridge Runner,
If you ever need any help with any critters, give me a call. I live in Wardensville and can reach you very quickly. Tried to muzzleloader hunt here last fall, what a waste of time with dogs and bear hunters. I was out near Perry and I didn't see any muzzleloader hunters. Guess they were smarter than I.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redmag
Ridge Runner,
If you ever need any help with any critters, give me a call. I live in Wardensville and can reach you very quickly. Tried to muzzleloader hunt here last fall, what a waste of time with dogs and bear hunters. I was out near Perry and I didn't see any muzzleloader hunters. Guess they were smarter than I.
if you wanna hunt and can drive to mathias gimme a holler, could also hook you up near baker on bears hell hunt club, bear hunters there to but not a bunch.
RR
Old 07-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Ridge Runner, I have been to Mathias (I think) at the food bank, maybe Lost River. I have heard of the Bears Hell and thought that that was for rich guys out of the city. My favorite hunting is for turkeys and it is tough around here with what goes on. I managed 1 bird all season VA and WV. Appreciate the offer and don't know if it would be right to move in on your hunting but I would like to make contact with you just to learn about the area.

Jim
Old 07-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jim in my hunting carreer I think I've killed like 170 turkeys, but our days of good turkey hunting are done, they just don't gobble anymore, I hunted 1100 acres this year, gated on both ends, hunted 5 days, never heard a gobble, blamed coyotes for years then turkey hunted ky, where they have a bunch of coyotes, they still gobbled, my only guess is too many hens because nobody fall hunts anymore.
ya wanna golook around gimme a call name is James Staggs I'm in the book, if ya would rather I own shares in bears hell and grace property, you could hunt either one if ya wish, no its not for rich guys, we bought it years ago for cheap, think grace property was 135.00 an acre for almost 12,000 acres.
RR
edited to add:
you won't affect my hunting at all, I'm so busy guiding city hunterson my boss's land I spend 1 day a year on bears hell, never on grace, and haven't hunted NF for 5-6 years

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 07-13-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Ridge Runner, I will give you a call once things slow a bit. We end up down at Martinsburg for a large part of the week taking care of our grandson now that school is out. I used to fall hunt birds quite a bit back when I was still working, I hunted out near Perry and the Hawk with good success. For 2 yrs (late 90's) I used a dog and that was special, he had epilepsy so bad I had to stop hunting him. He died at about 4 yrs old and he was like my kid. When is best to contact you, weekends, etc.

Jim
Old 07-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redmag
Ridge Runner, I will give you a call once things slow a bit. We end up down at Martinsburg for a large part of the week taking care of our grandson now that school is out. I used to fall hunt birds quite a bit back when I was still working, I hunted out near Perry and the Hawk with good success. For 2 yrs (late 90's) I used a dog and that was special, he had epilepsy so bad I had to stop hunting him. He died at about 4 yrs old and he was like my kid. When is best to contact you, weekends, etc.

Jim
any evening about dark, weekends before midnight
RR