Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

More on Gary Alt

Old 09-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: More on Gary Alt

By our hunting camp we have a state park and 45,000 acres of state game lands. It' s all forest. This is not where there are problems with deer/human conflict and , therefore, is not a special regs area. Down in the suburbs, there are deer hit on the roads all over the place. New developments and strip malls go up and shrink the deer' s habitat even more. In Delaware and Philadelphia Counties there are no areas open to hunting and in all of Montgomery County there might be about 1000 acres. The rest is private. These are the areas where doe licenses are the easiest to get. They' re never going to get the balance right.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-12-2003, 03:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve been in the insurance biz for 26 years and NEVER have I seen any evidence of any concern over deer here in Pa. Insurance companies love anything that causes claims that they can reasonably track and predict! Deer collisions are statistically predictable over large numbers. If an insurance company can expect x dollars per car in deer related claims in the state, they get to charge x+ their expected profit in premiums!

The only kind of claims that bother insurance companies (in the big picture) are the ones that they have a tough time predicting with their bean counter formulas.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve heard these rumors for years. I really don' t think there' s anything to the auto insurance rumor or the managing for timber profits. I actually never had any beef with the game commission. I was a little irritated with the antler restrictions at first but that' s about it. It just so happened that the first deer I saw was an 8-pointer. Talk about luck. Nothing changed - I still shot the first deer I saw.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge