Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DE Archery Season Opener

Old 09-19-2003, 06:38 PM

Default RE: DE Archery Season Opener

Well........not much into hunting with a buddy, but i did so tonite. i faced one way he the other. A 120lb doe came out about 35yds winded us, hissed and ran off, i heard some deer and grunts so i stood and waited. within a few minutes a spike, 6ptr, 4ptr, and other 4ptr, followed by a monster 8 came walking past in a straight line the bad part as i was drawing to shoot the 8 my buddy released and...missed, but thats ok.

ps - i had a really clear shot on him, broadside 30yds.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:33 PM

de hunter..thanks for the story, but the setup didnt sound that great. how many bucks are u seeing in your area??? one month and a few days and they will be runnin around like crazy. i am ready for that...i will hunt on wed...

i bought another mathews...used mq1...and a muzzy drop away. i will set that up in a week or so. 50-60lb....my blk max is a 60-70...set at 68. easton acc' s...muzzy 90gr and some rockets. tru nok...trophy ridge sight(great sight).
Old 09-20-2003, 08:03 PM

I spent a very tiring afternoon in the woods. The wind was bad for the leased field so I decide to just check and make sure my stand survived the hurricane and dump some more corn. I' d hunt the public land after. Well, as I' ve said before, the field on the property is in weeds this year. Well, the wind from the storm blew them almost flat. Try pushing a wheelbarrow with 50 Lbs of corn through that sh@t! Not fun. I had to carry it on my shoulder the last 50 yds. The good news is the stand survived. The bad news is, no deer sign. But being only the day after the hurricane, i' m not suprised.

When I was done screwing around with the stand and corn, I went over to Big Woods and hunted there. No one had been in there since Tuesday if the board was right. Alot more people hunting it this year, but no reported kills. Anyhow, I decided to use the portable ground blind for the 1st time and set up an ambush about 20 yds from a main trail bordering the refuge. The deer had always hugged the refuge in years past and there was alot of sign in there in August. Well, imagine how sweaty and tired I was when I finally got set up. It was about a 1/2 mile walk with full pack, ground blind and stool on my back, and carrying the bow. After the corn ordeal. By the time I sat down at 4pm, i was soaked and beat. Sat until 7:15pm. At 6:30pm 2 does came out of the meadow through the woods infront of me but they were on the refuge side and therefore, safe. It was too far anyhow, but I would NEVER shoot into the refuge. Its amazing how they know.... When I quit, it took me 20 F' ing minutes to get the ground blind folded back up. Its not the blind, its me. I need more practice. That and I was just exhausted and not thinking straight. Got back home at 9pm. It was a long day, but at least I was hunting.

I' m going to try and sneak out this week. Maybe take a sick day if the wind and weather cooperate. Keep the updates coming. Only 1 kill report so far. There were about 6 by this time last year. Whats going on!!! [X(]
Old 09-20-2003, 08:42 PM

nice story dckmaster. i hunt from a double bull blind and i love the way it packs. it is quick, easy, and very good at fooling deer. i have had them walk by and not look twice. i rattled a 6 pt last yr to 18yds...never looked at it..i was watching him through a screened window. i recommend to t2...2 people can hutn from it...and it is tight...no flapping...sets in 15 sec or less. nice carry bag that your seat fits in too
Old 09-21-2003, 02:06 PM

Went out last Tues pm, Fri pm, and Sat am/pm...saw a doe and 2 fawns Tues, nothing Friday, a 2.5 year old 5 pt Sat am and a group of does and fawns Sat pm. Deer movement has really subsided...maybe weather...it' s awful hot this year! Alot of food on the ground in the woods (acorns, beech nuts, and maple leaves). Should make it tough for a while I think! Cutting a ton of corn down state...might help!

Duckmastor, what kind of bling do you have...I' ve been thinking of getting one but tdon' t have the cash for a Double Bull.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Duckmastor, hey Scott I asked today and it will be close to a month before we pick the Ennis farm, where I saw your truck that night I stopped. It will be one of the last because we are not putting wheat in there and ew will be shelling the wheat ground first. If you see my pickup at the grain dryer sometime , stop in it is a 2002 Chev ex cab , pewter C 1570.....say hello
Old 09-21-2003, 06:34 PM

DEBob, I have the Doghouse Blind. It has plenty of room to draw a bow and it packs up about 12 lbs. Cost $79 - $99 Bucks. Sets up easy, but like I said, I need to practice taking it down. I like it and plan on using it more often. Esp when the ground cover starts to die out. I just need to use the old fanny pack instead of the back pack and bring less sh@t. Most of the pack weight is water though. Which, as it gets cooler, wont be as big of a problem.

Ron, I plan on stopping by. I didnt see anyone yesterday but since I was feeling next to dead, I probably wouldnt have stopped even if I did. Thanks for the corn cut info. Figured as much. Have been told that the field we lease for geese wont be cut until 10/15 the earliest becuase of the late plant. There wont be a dumb snow goose left by that date. We really get it for Canada' s anyways, so its not that big a deal.

Still hoping to get out next week at least once. Bring on the cool weather! Keep the post coming.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:59 PM

scouted 2day...saw a few does...nothing going on here..i am going to continue to hunt the food sources
Old 09-23-2003, 06:57 PM

My father and I headed out for an afternoon hunt at the leased farm. It was cool and the wind was right but all was quiet and not a deer to be seen. [:' (] Might head to Jersey on Saturday if the winds right. Maybe a change of scenary will change my luck.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:03 PM

hunting wed...oaks and persimmons. both have had mass fall off during storm. it might be a good go. we will see

Quick Reply: DE Archery Season Opener

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.