Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DE Archery Season Opener

Old 09-11-2003, 09:35 AM

Default RE: DE Archery Season Opener

Hit the woods this morning. What an amazing morning to be out. Cool and clear. Full moon and awsome sunrise. No deer though. Thought for sure I' d at least see something but not to be. Listened to the guys at Woodland and on the Smyrna River pound the teal and resident canadas. I actually had a small flock of snow geese fly over the stand. They werent flight birds either. Low and circling, looking for a cut field. The earliest I' ve ever seen them down. Gonna be a cold winter! []

Probably wont get out again until the weekend of the 20th. Keep the posts coming!

Ron, definately let me know when that fields coming down. Got a great ambush spot in mind for that day.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scott we started shelling corn today over on the West lside near Kenton. I saw you this morning about 9:30 going North on Rt 9 just South of Flemings landing bridge I was in the blue fuel truck had been fueling combines and tractors, came back to the white and green buildings and took that tractor sitting there w9ith the batwing mower and went over to Kenton and started mowing stalks behind the combine. Will let you know..
Old 09-11-2003, 09:04 PM

i have a acorn tree here where i live and the acorns are as green as a grasshopper....i came across another that had acorn as dark as grape juice?? what types are these>??? the green ones are really large.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:14 AM

Lemond, the best way to identify Oak species is by examining the leaves. Look up Red Oak, Black Oak, and White Oak, all three have distinctive leaves that are easy to tell apart, and make it easy to identiy acorns. Swamp oaks, chestnut oaks, pin oaks are a few others worth knowing. I suspect the dark ones and almost fully encased within the shell? Those would be black oaks, there' s a ton of them falling outside my window. Not high on the preference list of deer, but in a year like this, with few white oaks producing, well, they may be the only game in town, Once the combines roll through, the deer will move into the woods and find them. The other' s are probably chestnut oaks. They are very low on a list of a deer' s preferred foods. They' ll be dark green or brown, very shiny, about 1 1/2" long, and only about 1/4 encased within the shell. It' s a good idea for every bowhunter to learn the various oaks.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:31 AM

lemond, Check this out:

http://www.vdof.org/mgt/trees/index.shtml
Old 09-12-2003, 05:22 PM

thanks guys for the info,,,i will check it out,...i thought the acorns would come into play next month...guess i was wrong
Old 09-12-2003, 05:32 PM

debob??? do the deer like the beech as much as the persimmons...they seem to really come to the trees where i hunt. in and out and odd times of the day as the season moves forward. i like to key on them, but that is a few weeks away...nov?? the beech seems to be hard for them to open...what do u know about them
Old 09-12-2003, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Bob that Va dept Forestry is an excellent website , I stuck it up on my fav;s for quick ref whenever I might need it even for general knowledgenot invoving hunting , thanks for that heads up.... Jimmy Lee be proud of you..... In two weeks we are having my class reunion, he was my home room teacher. I guess you would call him..... Class of 58....
Old 09-14-2003, 06:03 AM

lemond, the beech nuts fall from the casings in about another two weeks or so...makes it real easy on the deer to get to them. Before that, they eat the lower, reachable mast whole. I rarely hunt persimons...don' t have many where I hunt...but I know they love them.

Ron, tough to make Jimmy Lee proud...but I try!
Old 09-18-2003, 07:08 PM

come on guys...what' s up out there?? where are the monsters being shot???

Quick Reply: DE Archery Season Opener

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.