Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

If you had your choice.......

Old 08-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default If you had your choice.......

Would you choose to hunt State Land in NJ, or a 10 acre private piece of property in Colts Neck,NJ.

The state land could be anywhere in NJ......but the private piece is pretty much hunting in a ravine with a stream and thickets..

Which would you choose?[]
Old 08-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If you had your choice.......

nobody can really answer that......you have to scout and make the desision yourself based on what you see and how you feel about each....there might not be a single deer in this ravine....go check it out and look on state land and compare what you think will be best.....good luck
Old 08-25-2003, 01:51 PM

I guess I don' t really understand what the dilemma is, hunt both. 10 acres isn' t enought to hunt unpressured the whole season, you' ll burn it our very quickly, so you' re going to need more spots anyway. That' s assuming you hunt regularly.
If the property is good, and it sounds like it, river bottom with thickets is hard to beat, especially if there' s some crop fields nearby, you' ll have a nice spot, but I' d want to have a bunch of other places to hunt during the course of the year as well. What if there' s a poaching problem, or tresspassing, or dogs, etc, you' re going to need a backup. I have 4 state properties I hunt, as well as a half a dozen farms, and I hunt them all during the course of the season. Hunting ground is like money, you can never have too much. Good luck
Old 08-25-2003, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HAVE TO AGREE HUNT THEM BOTH AND LAND IS LIKE THE MIGHTY " $$$$" NO MATTER WHAT YOU NEVER HAVE ENOUGH. I HUNT WITH BOW, SHOTGUN, MUZZLELOADER ON STATE LAND AND I SEE SOME GREAT BUCKS.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since I only hunt state land you should stick to the 10 acres, then there' ll be one less hunter on the WMA' s Only kidding, I agree with the rest, hunt them all. Then you' ll always have a couple of days to let things calm down. You never know when you may really need that private ground.