Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

astern mountainlions alive and well

Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default astern mountainlions alive and well

Hmmmm..........http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75B1JE20110613
Old 06-15-2011, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

astern mountainlions alive and well
I don't think that one is "alive and well".

So far there has been no determination of whether or not that was a wild or released/escaped pet. It's behavior prior to being killed would be consistent with with the latter, but at this point no one seems to know either way.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Good lord man do you want one to step in front of you and bit you on your behind before you believe. You asked for a picture, you got one so now you question that too. Sorry but this is hopeless with you.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Good lord man do you want one to step in front of you and bit you on your behind before you believe. You asked for a picture, you got one so now you question that too. Sorry but this is hopeless with you.

problem is we have had rumors of mtn lions for yrs,
does this pic validate the rumors?
or are there other circumstances involved?
dont know,
but as NY're who has heard rumors for yrs, will take more than this to fully convince me,
also difference between single animal, and having a reproducing population.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you see one while hunting, kill it, you can't be charged with anything if your state's Fish & Game Dept. doesn't have it listed as game or non game
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
I don't think that one is "alive and well".

So far there has been no determination of whether or not that was a wild or released/escaped pet. It's behavior prior to being killed would be consistent with with the latter, but at this point no one seems to know either way.
IMO, it is likely wild and not the pet of someone. Could it have been release by the wildlife service??? Hmmm.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by country1
IMO, it is likely wild and not the pet of someone.
And you know this how?
The possibility certainly is there, but at this point is could be an escaped/released pet - which historically is the case and would be typical of the behavior of this one. If someone KNOWS, I have not seen it released.

Could it have been release by the wildlife service??? Hmmm.
NO - it couldn't. No state game service is going to take the liability and cost of something like this.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

In NY periodically there are reports of lions. I talked with one individual who reported seeing a 250 lb lion cross the road with a 30 lb wild turkey in its mouth! Holey cow, a chance to bag a record western size lion and turkey with one bumper! Did I mention he was in the hospital for a DWI related accident? (no, not with a pink elephant).
I love the claims - in this day of bare bone state budgets, hatchery closures, DEC staff downsizing, etc. the claims that the state has a Area 51 type facility where mountain lions are raised/ conditioned for release. I dont question that a stray cat (escaped from a private owner-like even scarcer bison, ostriches and kangarros in NY that are well documented) occur. But the thought that regional game departments implement their release is preposterous. Remember the very well documented and publicized Canadian Lynx release project undertaken about 10 years ago? Total failure. A much larger and wider ranging critter like the cougar would be even less liikely to repopulate.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
And you know this how?
The possibility certainly is there, but at this point is could be an escaped/released pet - which historically is the case and would be typical of the behavior of this one. If someone KNOWS, I have not seen it released.

NO - it couldn't. No state game service is going to take the liability and cost of something like this.
Like I said it is likely wild. If it was released, I believe it is more likely it was released by a state or federal wildlife official. Yes, I know the games SOME agents play. I am well aware of the whole DENY DENY DENY scenario. Do you think all of their research and pet projects get approval? Do you believe they do EVERYTHING by the book? So, are you a wildlife PR person?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, are you a wildlife PR person?
No - just someone with a shred of common sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.