Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

hay southern ny u ready for this

Old 08-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hay southern ny u ready for this

338,I still think you are way over gunned with that moose killer you shoot,but I guess you can' t kill um to dead and if you can handle a little lost meat more power to you.Hunted Saskatchewan a couple years back and a hunter was using a 338 he hit the deer with the 1st shot and when the deer started to run away he took what he called " the Texas heart shot" there wasn' t to much left of that deers rear end.[X(]
Old 08-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

I can understand you guys getting upset but I was not putting down NY or sayin it happens all over ny, but it is what I see in my part of NY. I also hunt the adirondacks and I don' t see that up there.
I don' t always use the .338 I have many different rifles from .22 hornet to .375 H&H It depends what mood I am in. Latley I have been using a .300 wetherby with 150gr X bullets. The .338 can do alot of damage but so does my .270 with ballistic tips. The damaged meat dosen' t bother me I give the animals the front shoulders and neck anyhow.
This season I have been tossing between a .350 rem mag or a custom .366 GDW .. ..BIll
Old 08-10-2003, 08:48 AM

ya the adirondaks, now thats a tough area, not only do you not hear another
shot, or see another hunter, you could walk around all day and never cut a deer track, wow, I really think thats one of those places were a buck can die of old age, and posibly never catch a wiff of human scent you know the only buck
i ever saw while i was hunting, was an 8 pt, and i killed him at 12 yards[] he
sneaked up behind me when i was napping and had the scope set at 8 power,
all i saw was hair as far as big northern buck, if a person is used to shooting
the big magnums have at it, would rather have some bone in my meat then lose a deer, but i cant handle large guns like that, for a follow up shot, would probably
be trying to get the scope out of my eyeball socket