Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

hay southern ny u ready for this

Old 08-04-2003, 06:20 AM

Default RE: hay southern ny u ready for this

Norsemen I do believe you have brought up a good point.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:14 AM

I think I' m going to have to run for public office, maybe we could call it the hunting
zarr, or president of whitetail management, Think i would get any votes?
Old 08-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Any info on what counties are going to be affected?

Im mixed on this one. Id rather not have it though, as I prefer the way things are now.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

guys, as an outsider(from vt, not ny) you are talking crazy talk. your " quality" ( and who is to define quality to a first timer, or to the rest of us who like to eat deer meat) did not happen just because it is shotgun only, it most likely came about for safety reasons. and your quality bucks happened because of management, fertilizer, and genetics. the way you describe it, the nice bucks came about because of shotguns, and can' t happen with rifles. i think you should check, while some of the above described states do have shotgun regulations, other states, with " qulaity" deer, allow rifle hunting, and don' t seem to have any problems.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Norsemen,You got my vote and maybe you need a cabinet member. Vtbuckrulrss,yes there are states with quality deer that have rifle hunting,and if everyone practiced QDM it would not matter,rifle or shotgun,but thats not the case and using limited range weapons only helps make the taking of a deer harder and thus keeps some deer alive that would not be if rifle hunting were allowed.The deer that are older and smarter are most likely the ones to avoid hunters and stay out of range.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:07 PM

DVD- you have my vote to I really cant come up with anything more to this one, you pretty much said it all, I was trying to think of somthing to say like states
like iowa, IL, ohio, get flocks of people each year, for there quality bucks, but
so does states like vermont and P.A. for there quality hunting, period, i think it' s
hard for people that have only hunted one type of terrain to know what were talking about, but on the other hand new england states sure do turn out some big monsters every year, just look at the benoits,
Old 08-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

norseman, you are right, some n.e. states do turn out huge bucks, but this is the odd part, maybe someone can give us some insight. i have hunted vt, me, and mass myself seen lots of deer to no deer.how is it possible, that i have seen pics of big deer coming from both heavily human and deer populated areas, and have also seen the same from sparsely populated areas? i would say that the manner in which they were killed don' t matter, some were shot by bow, some muzzleloader, and of course rifle and shotgun, and this is the point of this post, from what i have seen, it really doesn' t matter what you use, there will still be big boys for everyone willing to put in the time, and not sit in a spot overlooking a food plot. we need to learn how to hunt again. and about that family, personally i don' t know, but i have heard way to many bad rumors about their methods of hunting to respect it. maybe the rumors were a result of someone that is just jealous.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:30 PM

VT, i have followed and read stories over the years to, and i' m just not going to judge anyone, and what ever method we choose ( legal of course) is fine with me,
but i think for the true meat hunter, a area or state with the most deer density,
is going to give the hunter the best chance at harvesting a deer, and large deer
density dosent translate to large nunbers of mature buck, and an area with a larger percentage of trophy size buck is were i choose to hunt, to increase ones
odds of quality buck, theres nothing wrong with that, it' s just my choice, just as
the fella with limmited time to hunt is very happy with the first buck that comes along, i did that for many years, because of very low percentage of good bucks
but things have changed, especially in my area, with higher ratio of 2 1/2 year old
animals an up, very simular to why people flock to the mid west for big bucks,
there are just more of them to choose from, thus increasing your odds, if you look at a state like V.T. or P.A out of 100 hunters maybe 2 or 3 will score on mature
animals 2 1/2 or older, in western N.Y. it would be like 20 to 25, in iowa or Il
it would be like 40 to 45, again this is just the average hunter, so were would a
person that had a choice go to hunt quality buck? I personaly will be hunting ohio
and kentucky this deer season, because of high percentage of big bucks, dosent
mean i will be sucsessful, but the odds are alot better,, now i dident add maine
to the stats because i just dont know, and I do realise they kill some unreal heavyweights up there, just dont know what the ratio is on kills of mature animals to the amount of hunters, i suspect it' s low,, bottom line is i would rather hunt with a guy from V.T, or PA any day of the week, because of the woodsmanship and knowledge they bring to the table
Old 08-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Northern Tier NY, and have a camp in the southern region. Mainly because I love to bowhunt as much as possible. Northern tier archery is way to short. Once both regular seasons are open and I have to pull out my guns. I much prefer Northern Tier with a rifle. Even on opening day for Northern regular season you don' t hear 5 to 15 shots all from the same hunter just blazing lead. Why? Because rifles are more accurate, and due to the longer ranges a hunter has to carefully aim. Southern Tier regular season, I Hate it. Mostly seems like a bunch of crazies running around just flying lead at deer out of reach or ones on a dead all out run. I hear some serious crazy rounds going off. Its uncalled for, and wished in past the DEC would implement a 3 shot plug rule for safeties sake. Now maybe if southern regular season was open to rifle it' d slow the knuckleheads down. Least I hope!! PA is open to rifle across the state. Maybe a fellow PA hunter could give us some input here. As far as extending gun seasons, I don' t agree, and much rather see more archery time, but like I said I love to bowhunt more anyways.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Buckalley,you probably don' t hear all those shots in the northern zone because of the smaller amount of hunters there as well as the lack of longer shots in the big woods(heck might even be because there are better woodsmen there).If rifles are allowed in the southern zone instead of vollies of shot guns going off it will be the same but with rifles. Can' t assume its because they are all shooting at out of range deer alot are not proficient shots and just let the lead fly(shotgun or rifle)I guess I shouldn' t assume you are hunting in big woods in nothern zone,although it is mostly, there are areas in St. Larwence county and other places that have some opened land.Everyone also seems to forget the reason rifles are legal in NZ and not SZ is because SZ in much more densly populated.We as hunters get enough blackeyes without someone with a rifle that can carry for miles hits a dwelling or the farmers cow or worse yet a person!

Quick Reply: hay southern ny u ready for this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.