Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

grunt calls and rattling bags.DE archers

Old 07-29-2003, 04:47 PM

Default grunt calls and rattling bags.DE archers

has anyone had success with this??? last year a rattled and grunted in a 6pt.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: grunt calls and rattling bags.DE archers

I sure have. Two years ago I grunted in a 168lb 8 pt. in Nov. the 1st Saturday of Delaware' s firearm season. It was on public land near Blackiston. I had a ladder stand set up on the edge of a marsh. I was there well before first light. I planned to spend the whole day there. I was blowing on the grunt call ' bout every 30 minutes. It was 12:00 noon when I spotted him on the other side of the marsh about 150 yards away. He would stop and I would grunt. Then he would start walking but not towards me. Sort of parallel. I kept grunting and he kept walking. Now he was going away from me. I thought he was a gonner. I lost sight of him when he got behind some thick bushes. All of a sudden, SPLASH! He' s in the marsh and heading right for me! Almost up to his chest in water. I shot him in the chest, 35 paces from the stand. I came out to go get help and I was the only truck in the parking area. He' s now hanging on my wall.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:01 PM

nice story did he return to the water when u shot him and how did u recover him.??? these marshes here are something else. do u still hunt them??? what are some secrets that u have learned over the years to getting these deer that live in the tall grasses. i have found a few acorn and persimmon trees. these are going to be my bets for a wallhanger...if one exist
Old 08-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

I didn' t have a bow, I had my Remington 870 and he dropped right in his tracks. I haven' t bow hunted there. I did see several bucks last gunning season but none close enough.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:51 AM

I' ve had success with grunt calling although nothing works all the time. Best case scenario is late october early november when deer are looking. I' ve found don' t blow if there already coming your way. Blow if you think your not going to get a shot and the deer goes past you out of range. Also be prepared because when they do come they will pinpoint you and walk directly under your stand. Last but not leastly is grunt in the thicker areas. When they here you in the open they will be looking and if they can see long distances they might not come if they don' t see a deer. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:35 AM

I' ve had good luck with grunt call all season long...when you have nothing else to loose (e.g. like when a deer is feeding out of range) toot on the call softly and see what happens. If no response registers, toot alittle louder [8D]! I' ll admit, I almost never call blindly...I always wait to see the deer first so I can guage his/her response!

Rattling....I carry the horns most of the season but I don' t seriously consider it effective until the second of week of October! Early on I just tink the tines together and get lounder and longer as the season passes. I also use it as a " nothing ventured, nothing gained" effort for bucks well out of range! Have rattled bucks I could see down powerlines or across fields from a quater-mile away or more! For whatever reason, I do well rattling in the evenings early and mornings as the rut gears to a peak! As ESH stated above, they will pin-point your excact tree! It' s fairly impressive!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:10 PM

I was thinking of picking up a rattle bag just for the hell of it. Figure during the pre rut or rut, it cant hurt on those all day sits come 10am to mid afternoon. Think I' ll scan the Cabelas website next.

I' ve had success grunting bucks in during the rut. Never any other time.

28 days now and counting
Old 08-07-2003, 08:39 PM

if u want a rattle..stop at walmart. they have a knight and hale for $9. it' s compact and works. give it a try. early season...make soft rattles...end of oct...start poundin and gruntin...u ever use a decoy??? i have a decoy for sale. montana doe