Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cougar killed at Clark' s Valley, 18 mi. N of Harrisburg PA?

Old 06-19-2003, 12:20 PM

Default RE: Cougar killed at Clark' s Valley, 18 mi. N of Harrisburg PA?

Send it to me [email protected]
Old 06-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

If anybody has the means,please post this photo right here in this thread,I' d like to see it.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:07 PM

Yeah, upload that baby! We' re all in suspense!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

I live about 10 miles south of game lands 211, it is one of the most wild and in accessable areas in the state. Ive always said its a good place to break a leg and never be found. They dont call it Stoney Valley for nothing.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Although I do not live in PA, the WV DNR consistantly states that there are NO Eastern Cougars in WV.....What a crock! I have seen a Cougar, and it appears to be the same one( same size and markings) crossing my property atleast once a year for the past 6 years now. I have spent over 35+ years in the woods and know what I see, especially when it crosses my view line. They are protected, and very reclusive by nature. But, if you do a search on this bbs, or the net for topics such as this......there should be a wealth of information as to sightings, dates, and the state sighted in....many from PA. I do not have the time to spend right now, else I would take care of it and post the links that I found before for other posts on the subject.

All I can say from the heart is that if this cat was not endangering livestock, children, or anything........it should have been allowed to walk. and was an illegal kill....nuff said from this lady! And, yes, I live in the boonies and have a 4 1/2 year old son. If the big cat that I see almost every year ever made a move to check out my yard or even in a close proximity of where my son plays, and what I consider off limits ie: 500-1000 yds, then and only then would action be taken. Most of the time when I see this cat however he is crossing directly thru the properyt and thru the lane.......and has to this date never posed a threat. Ian is never out of my sight as a rule, and I am ready at a moments notice if need be. Have a great day folks.

P.S. It is a pretty awesome site to see and I feel privledged....however, the phrase " Catgone" would have to replace " Doggone" if this one intruded into " my range" . BTW, This cat from plaster casts of the prints, etc appears to be an adult male now......he was just about 2 when first spotted. And could very well be an " exotic" that someone thought would be " neat" and then could not handle....so....." lets just turn it loose" . Sad but true that there are so many idiots in the world!
Old 06-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not saying there isnt any Couger' s in PA. but aparently this one is a hoax, The picture was taken in Idaho. Pike
Old 06-19-2003, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe there are big cats in PA,but i read on another forum that this one was killed in Idaho.Hey Pike-did you read about the black bear running around down in Red Lion?
Old 06-20-2003, 08:17 AM

I grew up just 1 valley north of Clarks valley in the Powells Valley area just outside of Carsonville. Has Anyone out there heard of the Carsonville Hotel? Well My dad hasn' t said anything to me about hearing about this cougar but it is possible, I' ll have to ask him about it the next time I talk to him. He travels clarks valley everyday on his way to work in Harrisburg.. There is a lot of room on those gamelands, there is alot of space that doesn' t see human activity for years. I once saw the biggest buck rub of my life on top of peters moutain where the Appalacian trail runs. (For those of you who don' t know peters mountain is one of the mountains that makes up clarks valley.) That rub was on the base of a tree that I couldn' t wrap my arms around and I' m 6' 1" , Probably about 5' 8" or 5' 9" at the time. But I too firmly believe there are big cats in PA. There have also been credable reports of cat sightings near Lykens just north of clarks valley, there is another large tract of gamelands and stat forest there.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:59 AM

Here is a link for the picture and the real story supposedly. Look under the title of One Big Cat.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/t...atchD9563084-4
Old 06-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

It' s probably a hoax, but there ARE cougars in MD. Western MD has fliers everywhere--even in supermarkets--asking for people who SEE them to report the sightings. I' ve met most of the rangers who work in and around New Germany and have yet to meet one who HASN' T seen them--including the black variety.

Further East, on Aberdeen Proving Ground, we are asked to report the sightings of the cougar families that are known to live there. Charlie (no1gamewarden) acknowledges that there is a small, widely spread out population of them living in the more rural areas of eastern MD. I' ve got one that visits here on an irregular basis.

Quick Reply: Cougar killed at Clark' s Valley, 18 mi. N of Harrisburg PA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.