Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Valley Forge hunt cancelled

Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
One stumbled into me this year with a density of less than 20 DPSM.

Why was he stumbling? Was it another "special olympics" deer?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by yano
People are there 24x7x365, right? Whoops, maybe you better lay your eyes on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI

He would have been a pelt hanging on my wall the second he would have came towards me.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

The guy filming that video definitely is not the sharpest pencil in the box

It was a beautiful yote and fun to watch though
Old 12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guy filming that video definitely is not the sharpest pencil in the box
The guy obviously had a lot more experience dealing with yotes than most of us on this MB. The guy was cool as a cucumber and obviously enjoyed playing with that yote and was confident in his ability to handle anything the yote had to offer. I doubt that any of us would have been able to handle the situation like he did.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
I'll say again that I don't know the park in question but if we assume that a park and a developed suburban area are fairly similar in having a makeup of woods, edge and grasses, maybe I can offer a possible answer. First, grasses and other plants that grow in open areas do provide far more forage per acre than timber or brushy areas and parks and suburban areas have plenty of that. The deer could be surviving on that stuff but still wiping out anything that sprouts in the woods. I havent personally seen what 200+ DPSM does but at 160+ Stevie Wonder could see the overbrowsing everywhere in our situation and the majority of the deer deer were definitely undersize for their age.
Just my $.02 based on experience with a somewhat similar situation.

This is what I keep telling Doug about the tornado areas which is now pole timber.There's fields inbetween with plenty of grasses and clover but he dismisses that as food.
Gettysburg is another example although those numbers have been reduced with sharp shooters.
Though the tornado blowdowns are pole timber there's plenty of underbrush including greenbriar.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do dismiss that as food for deer in the winter in this area.I have grass in my yard and I haven't seen a deer there in months regardless of the fact that we have deer densities well in excess of 50 dpsm.The deer are in two places.They're hitting the fresh tops left over from logging and they're digging through a couple inches of snow to dig up acorns where there's still some left.We also have two golf courses where I live.Oncewe get about 5-6 inches of snow,the deer leave it alone.It takes every for deer to graze during the winter.On top of that,alot of forbes and grasses aren't that palatable during this time of year.Deer need browse during the winter.That's what they prefer and that's where they'll concentrate.In doing so,it doesn't take many deer to devour what browse is left if the habitat is poor to beigin with.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not too long ago you told us the deer in TL survive on all the shrubbery the residents plant every year. Now you say the deer are surviving on the natural foods available in the forests. It is simply amazing how your story changes based on which way the wind is blowing and the point you are trying to make.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
I do dismiss that as food for deer in the winter in this area.I have grass in my yard and I haven't seen a deer there in months regardless of the fact that we have deer densities well in excess of 50 dpsm.The deer are in two places.They're hitting the fresh tops left over from logging and they're digging through a couple inches of snow to dig up acorns where there's still some left.We also have two golf courses where I live.Oncewe get about 5-6 inches of snow,the deer leave it alone.It takes every for deer to graze during the winter.On top of that,alot of forbes and grasses aren't that palatable during this time of year.Deer need browse during the winter.That's what they prefer and that's where they'll concentrate.In doing so,it doesn't take many deer to devour what browse is left if the habitat is poor to beigin with.

Doug why do you think deer are always along the roads eating the grasses?You should see them eating the farmer's rye in winter..Heck they'll dig through a couple inches of snow easily to get my turnip tops and turnips.They're always in the guy's yeard behind our camp.How can you not consider grasses and clovers as food?Even if the snow gets deep for a month or two the more clover,grasses,acorns,etc they have to fill up on the better off they'll be.I don't understand how you dismiss that as food.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Not too long ago you told us the deer in TL survive on all the shrubbery the residents plant every year. Now you say the deer are surviving on the natural foods available in the forests. It is simply amazing how your story changes based on which way the wind is blowing and the point you are trying to make.

That is true but the situation has changed somewhst the last couple of years.The deer have always hammered the acorns and the shrubbery and still do.It just so happens that TL get's their timber rights back in 2013.For years,very little timber was cut in TL but they've been cutting like crazy the last two years and will continue over the next three.Those tops give the deer plebty to eat but it's a short term food source.The acorns are all in the residential areas because the majority of the mast producing trees have been wiped out in the undeveloped areas.Therefore,the deer are eating what acorns they can find in the residential areas and hitting the fresh tops where it's been logged.As the acorns become more scarce,they'll start hammering the landscaping as well.They do it most years.When the winters are worse than average,the devour it.My tune hasn't changed one bit.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You and RSB have the same problem. the deer didn't read and believe the same PGC propaganda you believe. In the 50's R. Latham said we would never have the deer we had in the 30s but just 20 years later the herd was just as large as it was in the 30s. Then, after being reduced in the 80s it rebounded once again in the 90's despite increased doe harvests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.