Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The PGC Reinvents The Wheel

Old 12-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even the PGC staff knows enough to eat the gumdrops and spit out the smart pills.

The PGC is still estimating the OWDD based on the same computer model they used in the past ,adjusted for ARs ,of course.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

In 2000 we had 1.5M PS deer. Since then the buck harvest has decreased by 40%,which indicates the herd has been reduced by around 40%..

1,500,000X .60= 900,000 PS deer.
First, someone please tell me how a 1927 news article holds any relevance regarding todays deer herd.

Lets take this GIGO formula one step further.

Since we have almost exactly 10% less hunters now than we did in 2000 thats 10% less pressure and therefore by the logic of your formula your 40% number would have to be adjusted to 36%. Add to that the reduced hunter success rate (lets just say around 10% less) and the number goes to around 32%. In other words, using a lower total harvest requires that the other variables be addressed too.

1,500,000 x .68 = 1.020,000

Frankly either number is meaningless but the more variables that are addressed, the more accurate any estmating formula is likely to be.

Of course, GIGO (garbage in garbage out) formulas are infinitely useful for producing true DILLIGAF results ( does it look like I give a ___)

Last edited by BTBowhunter; 12-22-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since we have almost exactly 10% less hunters now than we did in 2000 thats 10% less pressure and therefore by the logic of your formula your 40% number would have to be adjusted to 36%. Add to that the reduced hunter success rate (lets just say around 10% less) and the number goes to around 32%. In other words, using a lower total harvest requires that the other variables be addressed too.
Wrong again! Even with 10% fewer hunters the harvests are still keeping the herd stable or reducing it even more. Therefore your adjustments are not based on reality.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Wrong again! Even with 10% fewer hunters the harvests are still keeping the herd stable or reducing it even more. Therefore your adjustments are not based on reality.

Actually I said exactly that. My actual numbers are just as meaningless as the ones you put up but to totally ignore reduced hunter numbers and the changes in success rate makes your results unrealistic as well.

GIGO produces DILLIGAF and your GIGO formula is as useless as the silly example I posted
Old 12-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once again you are dead wrong because I don't have any results. It is the PGC that claims the current harvests are keeping the herd stable even with the reduced number of hunters. maybe you haven't noticed but the PGC has offset the effects of fewer hunters by letting hunters like Doug and Gino harvest 4 or five doe/yr.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since we seem to be going back in time.........

2000 BC:

Birdrock: You gettum deer this spear season?

Cornrock: Nope. Had to let three buck go in stone axe season too. Not legal

Birdrock: That dang fool Onk Alt really messed up deer herd. Him do OK on T-REX but him no deer expert. Too many Sabre tooth. Now crossclub guys get all the does that are left.

Cornrock: bet we're down to under one gazillion deer by now

Dugg: Me get 6 this year

Birdrock: You hunt where easy. Nobody take spear to your woods anymore

BTRockthrower: Me get 5

Birdrock: You buy um deer. cost you plenty rocks!

Rockpowder: Me get plenty, buddy stoned one while it fought another buck

Birdrock: You just get lucky

Bedrock Jim: me help little caveman get first buck. Great season!

Birdrock: Me fill tag this year. You only help kid get one Nya nya nya

Dugg: This trillium good! Goes good with backstraps, want some?

BTRockthrower: I'll take some more bacKstrap

Dugg: Gimme some of both

Cornrock: Just a hobblebush protein shake for me

Rockpowder: any more crow?

Bedrock Jim: Nope! Birdrock ate it all again dangit!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

When one can't deal with reality they often drift of to fantasy land. But the fact remains that the current harvests are keeping the herd stable or reducing it even more.

At the same time the PGC is claiming that 67 counties in 2009 can't support as many deer as 30 northern tier counties supported in 1927.
That is a simply a ridiculous position for the PGC professional deer managers to be supporting.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Cornrock: Nope. Had to let three buck go in stone axe season too. Not legal
Cornrock gottem buck like every time leaves fall....

Cornrock no had to travel'em many days to far side of big river to do.

Cornrock no go hungry.

Cornrock: bet we're down to under one gazillion deer by now
Cornrock no like eco-extremist clan at pgc.

Cornrock like to see club taken to audubon society.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-22-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
When one can't deal with reality they often drift of to fantasy land. But the fact remains that the current harvests are keeping the herd stable or reducing it even more.

At the same time the PGC is claiming that 67 counties in 2009 can't support as many deer as 30 northern tier counties supported in 1927.
That is a simply a ridiculous position for the PGC professional deer managers to be supporting.
My little foray into the past was no more fantasy than your calculation of our deer herd. Both were equally silly and meaningless. Hopefully they both bring a laugh or two.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That may be your opinion, but it is totally divorced from reality. My position is based on PGC data while your position is based on your imagination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.