Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any Grouse????

Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

We're in the storm here now, I get a day to hunt a blizzard hits.

Ed I'll see what next week brings, I might be up.

Thanks guys
Old 12-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Pete D.
"20 plus flushes in less than two hours and I never got off the skidder trail"
That is truly amazing. I read somewhere - game commission literature, IIRC - that the average is one flush per hour. That has pretty much been my experience over the last few years in Luzerne/Columbia/Sullivan Cos.
its been more than hr for me and toby in clinton county.i have chance to talk to hunters in bear season.i always ask about how many grouse they see.most will tell me truth as most dont come here to hunt grouse.
there comments are same as the deer comments.we drove all day and saw FEW grouse,same with deer SAW a few deer..

2 yrs ago its was,BOY SPROUL SAW 6 GROUSE....hunting pressure is getting a lot more for grouse in last few yrs also. rain in spring hurt clinton and predators i feel are hurting when numbers are down.i shoot over heads of grouse most of time, once in awhile i kill one for toby.but a lot of hunters know me and if they see my truck, in they come to hunt grouse.some 2 yrs ago would hunt same area over and over until few grouse are left.
its like at my home. i had around say 20 rabbits last summer.owls,fox, bobcats HAWKS,yes hawks are a big killer in my yard have reduced my rabbits down to about 2.
just think in woods what is happening and add in a COYOTE and HUNTER to list.
its wonder we see anything in woods..........
Old 12-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I think we're supposed to be in the upward trend of the grouse cycle right now. You just need the right habitat. Where we hunt, most of the land was clear cut about 10-15 years ago. It's overgrown like crazy now. Any clear areas are thick with blueberry and blackberry bushes. Then there are the laurel thickets.

So many grouse that you get sick of them. I hate sneaking to my stand in the dark and almost having a heart attack when those SOBs flsuh under my boots

I'll tell you one thing. The coyotes are on to them. They've been dogging the grouse and turkey poults like crazy in the early summer.

what county are you in seeing grouse like that?
Old 12-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

What are you guys getting for weather tonight 12/25 ?

Its been raining hard here all day, ground still has some snow not much .

Hows tomorrows look for any of you east of here, any snow?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bawanajim
What are you guys getting for weather tonight 12/25 ?

Its been raining hard here all day, ground still has some snow not much .

Hows tomorrows look for any of you east of here, any snow?
this is sat 26th. here in clinton county its raining hard from noon christmas day.snow in my yard is gone, thank god and sunny side of mountains snow is gone.this should help deer get to food easier.but roads in mountains are icy as heck and very dangerous.
if hunting deer they are not moving to pipelines or fields.THEY ARE NOT MOVING AT ALL.we have 12 on no hunting land and i have been watching them from archery to now.in last 3 weeks even at midnight,yes i am going by land at all hrs from 6pm to midnight, you will not see them out in open.
it has nothing to do with hunting pressure its the cold windy weather we had for last 3 weeks........
they are staying put and not moving 50 yds from food/cover.