Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Saturday May Be The Best

Old 12-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Had unusually heavy hunting pressure today. Must have been several guys desperate to fill their tags today, 2weeks zero hunting pressure, today they were all over. Anyway, they were nice enough to kick a buck my direction. One of those borderline legal deals. It didn't matter if he was legal or not he was getting a free pass regardless. I didn't fill my tags but I had fun trying.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Sounds like a great day. Tell Joe congrats for me!

It was an awesome day! Naturally I had to ride Joe a little. I said, why in the he!! did you shoot that buck? They where about to square off again. I wanted to watch the show a little longer. He said; I guess you now have to watch me drag his arse to the truck. I said: OK! Honk the horn when you get their!

I'll pass the word. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pats102862
Had unusually heavy hunting pressure today. Must have been several guys desperate to fill their tags today, 2weeks zero hunting pressure, today they were all over. Anyway, they were nice enough to kick a buck my direction. One of those borderline legal deals. It didn't matter if he was legal or not he was getting a free pass regardless. I didn't fill my tags but I had fun trying.

Kudos for letting that buck live another year. Hope he visits you next year to "thank" you personally

Thanks too! from all the PA members here for not posting a pic of a borderline buck that might have generated 10+ pages of silliness
Old 12-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks too! from all the PA members here for not posting a pic of a borderline buck that might have generated 10+ pages of silliness
And after 10 pages we still don't have an answer regarding what the WCO's will let pass as a legal point.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Kudos for letting that buck live another year. Hope he visits you next year to "thank" you personally
Through out the late 80-90s I used to tagout in the first three hours of rifle season on deer like that. The last several years I been going after the big boys and they definately are in a different league.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pats102862
Through out the late 80-90s I used to tagout in the first three hours of rifle season on deer like that. The last several years I been going after the big boys and they definately are in a different league.
It's all part of the natural maturing process as a a hunter to keep raising the bar. Tag soup is often the by-product but it's all worth it when things finally do come together.

Yes, the big boys most certainly are in a different league. Even a 2 1/2 year old is a dozen times smarter than a 1 1/2 year old and when they get to 3+ they pretty much can outwit the vast majority of hunters most of the time.

The stakes are higher for the mature buck. If a hunter makes a mistake, he goes home empty handed. If a big buck makes a
boo-boo he gets a last ride in a pickup.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's all part of the natural maturing process as a a hunter to keep raising the bar. Tag soup is often the by-product but it's all worth it when things finally do come together
No, that is not the process of a maturing hunter. A maturing hunter realizes the size of the rack is not the only criteria one should use to evaluate the quality of ones hunting experience. A hard earned spike or Y can taken in ML season, before ARs,can be more rewarding than a decent 8 or 10 that you harvest with little effort.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
before ARs,can be more rewarding than a decent 8 or 10 that you harvest with little effort.
Where are you harvesting 10 points with little effort? It must be that hunting preserve called WMU 2G, you claim exist.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't say I was that lucky but some guys are, including junior hunters.

Today was the best day of the season for my archery and fly fishing buddy Joe T. "Sorry",no photos at this time. My buddy still uses a friggin film loaded camera. Anyway, we where sitting in small tree line that connects a choked creek bottom to a cut corn field. At the upper end of the tree line,I spotted movement. I glassed it. It was two nice buck engaged in a full blown brawl. I turned over my shoulder and said,there is two buck fighting at the end of this tree line. My buddy said lets get up their. We get 60 yards from the end of the tree line and these two buck are meshed together. He said; is anyone of them legal? I said;he!! yeah! They are both legal,one is definitely bigger. After what seemed about five minutes more of pushing and twisting and dirt flying. They finally separated. BBD! Eighteen inch inside spread, eight point. Ten and a quarter inch G2's and some nice mass all the way around. Part of the ear hanging and a deep bloody gouge in the throat and under the chin. We both agreed, that we would ever imagined seeing a buck fight like that at this time of year.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
No, that is not the process of a maturing hunter. A maturing hunter realizes the size of the rack is not the only criteria one should use to evaluate the quality of ones hunting experience. A hard earned spike or Y can taken in ML season, before ARs,can be more rewarding than a decent 8 or 10 that you harvest with little effort.

It's a shame you have to read everything with your "agenda goggles" on.

I said:

It's all part of the natural maturing process as a a hunter to keep raising the bar. Tag soup is often the by-product but it's all worth it when things finally do come together.
What part of the word "PART" didnt you understand?

I stand by what I said. You simply interperetd it in the narrowest vein you could. You are so dead set against AR's that you cant see much else in any conversation.

Raising the bar could mean many things and in fact it often does as a hunters matures. It could mean taking up archery, flintlock, or handgun hunting in favor of the rifle. It could mean being seeking a mature buck (antler size is not the only criteria there)

It could mean switching to a stickbow froma compound, it could mean choosing to stillhunt rather than sit in a tree.

Tag soup is more likely to result from any of those efforts to raise the bar and it's an individual choice. So long as the individual is within the law, no other hunter should criticize his choices.

It's a shame that I cant compliment a fellow member here without you turning it into yet another pissing match about antler restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.