Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The PGC and the Audubon

Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The PGC and the Audubon

Here is the best the PGC could come up with for a PR the second week of rifle season.

GAME COMMISSION URGES PARTICIPATION IN CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT

HARRISBURG – Pennsylvania Game Commission officials are urging wildlife enthusiasts to join the tens of thousands of volunteers throughout the United States in the Audubon Society’s 110th Annual Christmas Bird Count (CBC), which will take place Dec. 14, through Jan. 5.

“Bird enthusiasts, armed with binoculars, bird guides and checklists, will head out on an annual mission - often before dawn - to make a difference and to experience the beauty of creation,” said Dan Brauning, Game Commission Wildlife Diversity Section supervisor. “Each year, volunteers brave snow, wind, or rain, to take part in the Christmas Bird Count, and they have made an enormous contribution to conservation to help guide conservation actions.

“The data collected through this effort – which is the longest-running wildlife census to assess the health of bird populations – allows researchers, conservation biologists, and other interested individuals to study the long-term health and status of bird populations across North America. When combined with other surveys such as the Breeding Bird Survey, it provides a picture of how the continent's bird populations have changed in time and space over the past hundred years.”

Local counts will occur on one day between Dec. 14 and Jan. 5. Volunteers can pick the most convenient circle, or participate in more than one count. There is a specific methodology to the CBC, but everyone can participate. The count takes place within “Count Circles,” which focus on specific geographical areas. Each circle is led by a “Count Compiler,” who is an experienced birdwatcher, enabling beginning birders to learn while they assist. Also, those who live within the boundaries of a Count Circle can even stay at home and report the birds that visit their backyard feeders, or join a group of birdwatchers in a local field.

“In either case, if you have never been on a CBC before your first step is to locate and contact your local Count Compiler to find out how you can volunteer,” Brauning said.

To view instructions on how to search for a circle and sign-up for an open count, visit the Game Commission’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us) and click on “Wildlife” in the left-hand column, and then choose the “Christmas Bird Count” icon in the center of the page. Information also can be obtained from Audubon Society’s Christmas Bird Count website (http://www.audubon.org/Bird/cbc/), or on the Pennsylvania Society for Ornithology’s website (http://www.pabirds.org).

# # #
Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

and this relates how? why not help folks out? gives them something to do, enjoy nature
Old 12-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Audubon sponsored Alt's kill the deer conference ,using laundered money from the Heinz Foundation and now we are reduced to counting birds for the Audubon. I'd say that's rather ironic.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

darn, i really liked heinz ketchup, guess i better stop eating it
Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned

Anyone not knowing about the ridiculous unholy alliance of pgc & audubon where the deer decimation is concerned really needs to do some homework if they wish to discuss deer management in Pa.

For anyone not knowing do some websearches for keywords (Pa, Audubon, deer management) and sort through all the nasty mess. If you need help, there are many here who are already caught up and would be happy to answer any questions Im sure.

Might also wanna check out the fine contributions from bozos like Byron shissler & Tim Shaeffer. A couple of audubon honchos that had made it their lifes goals to see pgc doing exactly what they are currently doing.

Audubon society is a far greater threat than full outright antihunting groups could ever be. No one takes the antis seriously and theyve accomplished nothing in the way of effecting our sport in Pa, but the eco-extremists are already in the door and they most certainly have had a tremendous effect upon hunting in Pa.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-07-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

thanks cornelius, not starting a firestorm, deep breathe bud
Old 12-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned

Didnt mean to come off harshly. Sorry, but its an ugly subject. Just telling it like it is. Any percieved disgust was aimed directly at the subject, not any particular poster. As for my statement about checking out the facts, I didnt mean that in a smart arse manner either, but sincerely. Many simply arent aware.

Then on the other hand, some pgc types like to try and convince others that its "conspiracy theory" etc. Unfortunately for them, unlike the "stocked cougars" "stocked coyotes" and "helicopters dropping snakes"...lmao.... The pgc + Audubon ugly connections are well documented, and available to see with siimple internet searchs.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-07-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

This is most complaing i've heard from club members ever. Have been riding around every morning. Even on weekdays,the turn out has been decent. This morning had snow on the ground. Heard two shots fired by 11am. I could see hunters moving on some of the hillsides. I have to admit,action was slow.

Last edited by blkpowder; 12-07-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

http://pa.audubon.org/deer_report.html
Old 12-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

WHy did you delete the other audubon thread you had posted BP? Afraid you might offend someone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.