Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Day in the Pa woods

Old 10-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Day in the Pa woods

Today I worked a flex shift 7-3 PM. Hurried home after my shift, (I work in Law Enforcement) washed and headed to my hunting spot. It took me a good 15-20 minutes to get there. I climbed up the tree to my Gorilla hang-on and noticed the platform shifted and the thing was really unstable. so, there I am in the tree trying to loosen and adjust my stand and making lots of noise. after 10 minutes of adjusting I finally got the platform stable and climbed onto it and a branch was right on top of me. After sitting until about 6:00 I decided there was no way I could draw and shoot, so I decided to leave. I took a slow walk and didn't see anything. I was really upset with myself because I should have prepped better. But it was then that I realized that any day in the woods is a great day.

One question. Ihunt on a high traffic public hunting area. I love to use hang ons but I don't want to leave the climbing steps in the area. I have often used pine trees and just climbed the branches to my hang on. Does anybody have any suggestions. I have both telescoping steps and the lone wolf ones. should I just backpack the lone wolf ones in? If so, whats the best way to climb the tree and hang them as I go?

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

KC

Last edited by PAHUNTER105; 10-06-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

in the past i have used screw ins and as i climbed down at night i spun the oput and stuck toothpicks in the holes so i could find them easily in the dark and taking the steps kept my stand fairly safe.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Typical Buck

Remember no screw ins on public land...nothing that damages the trees.....If you have some lightweight sticks or strap on steps that would be the ticket. My one buddy uses individual strap on steps and just takes the bottom three or four steps out with him when he leaves...just enough to deter others from gettin in your tree or taking your stand.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Spike

CLIMBER! if your going to back pack something in and out of the woods everytime, why not a climber. There not much more wieght than sticks and you have the option of getting out of the tree and moving to another set up if its not right for you. I like MOBILITY!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

You might want to look at a set of Ameristep Rapid Rails. (the aluminum ones) They weigh almost nothing and hang quickly and quietly with a little practice.

Make sure to use a linemen style belt while hanging them They put your center of gravity out away from the tree a bit and a linesmans belt around you and the tree can be a lifesaver
Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

i love my ameristep rails, lightweight, easy to assemble...just make sure they go ABOVE the platform, so you can step onto it, and not have to do a vicious pull up