Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bear season in NY's Southern Zone

Old 09-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Spike

Default Bear season in NY's Southern Zone

Does anyone know of a good product that attracts bear?
We can hunt them all through archery season and then the 2nd week of the regular season through the end of muzzleloader season.
I usually hunt in Tioga County and they finally opened up Tioga county for bear last year.
I have never taken a bear and would really like to get one.A friend of mine got one a few years ago and it tasted great.
I may make my own if I can't find a good product already on the market.I'll use honey and peanut butter.
I also think it might attract deer also because they are curious animals.Could you give me any idea's?Thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honey and pb would be considered baiting - not allowed in NY.

Heard some guys in Gander MT talking about doing a bacon burn. My thoughts are, since it is a food source, probably not legal either. Call one of the DEC officers listed in the book you got with your license.

Steve
Old 09-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen some "bear bomb" total release aerosols. Don't know if they are any good though.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Spike

I agree with SteveBNy,call the DEC,to find out whats legel for sure.Good luck this fall dvallilee.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're putting it there it's illegal plain'n simple.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

While bluefishing, was talking to a hunter that he takes the whole bluefish and uses it for bait. I didn't ask him Where he hunts, but IF you were allowed to bait, I guess that would be adequate and cheap. When we finished bluefishing, he kept about 10 whole fish and freezes em. Not too many people were keeping theirs, just a couple filets. For me, it's not the best tasting fish. Maybe any kind of fish will do ?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'd better be careful in putting anything out to attract bear. Fish, honey or peanut butter would surely be deemed as bait in my opinion. The DEC needs to be contacted when a bear is shot and I have heard stories that they sometimes want to be taken to the location of the kill when they come to check the bear. Any evidence of baiting and the hunter will surely be deader meat than the bear they just shot!!

From the DEC website:

Southern Zone Bear -- DEC wildlife staff would like to examine bears before they are skinned or butchered. Wildlife staff will make every attempt to contact hunters in order for the bear to be checked. At no time is a hunter expected to sacrifice the quality of the meat or hide of a bear for examination.

When reporting a bear, hunters will be asked to provide name, phone number and location or address where the bear can be examined. If staff are not available in the Catskill region, bears can be examined at cooperating taxidermists and meat cutters. Bears may also be examined in Sullivan County at the Monticello Fire Department.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

yea it's illegal to bait for bear in any form in NY state, don't do it..

thats the rason you don't hear of many guy's in the state that go bear hunting, most bear shot in NY are shot by deer hunters who just happen to see a bear..
Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by sits in trees
yea it's illegal to bait for bear in any form in NY state, don't do it..

thats the rason you don't hear of many guy's in the state that go bear hunting, most bear shot in NY are shot by deer hunters who just happen to see a bear..
You can use a scent lure, but a bear bomb is too much:

Bear Hunting

Q: Can I use bait to hunt bears?
A: No. You may only use up to 1.5 fluid ounces of a liquid scent or lure.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html