Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.
View Poll Results: What influenced the BOC the most in their decision to include the Xbow into archery?
Money or Profit Driven Motives
63.16%
Game Management Motives
5.26%
Increased Hunter Satisfaction and Opportunity
31.58%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Crossbows are now legal in Pa because.....

Old 09-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doug you dont think that the increased amount of bucks that will be harvested prior to the majority of our doe's being bred instead of after wont impact the resource?
Also OH. currently has more bow hunters than we do and at the same time they have less than half as many total deer hunters. Our archery deer harvest is going to dramitcly increase and our remaining non bow hunting hunters will demand that our bow season is shortened. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 09-19-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
A 13 percent increase in deer harvest in one area where the C-bow was introduced? Wow, I wonder how long they can handle that kind of slaughter in a state ranked in the top 5 nationally in deer/auto accidents?
I guess the facts that PA. is also in the top 5 for amount of miles of paved roads and also the amount of auto's using those roads has nothing to do with it? Pike
Old 09-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blkpowder
Doug; I'm just giving my opinion here and asking you a question. First,the PGC says over the years we lost approximately 69,000 bowhunters. As of Aug. 31 we already gained 40,000 of those bowhunters back. I'm pretty sure quite a few more where waiting on the final vote before going out and purchasing their crossbow. From the info I'm gathering at two of the archery shops I visit, they are also getting large numbers of past archers trading in their compounds for crossbows.IMO,you will see a increase in the bow kill this year. Both in buck and doe. If we see an increase in the buck kill. Do you feel there will not be any pressure from the firearm hunters towards any changes of the existing six week archery season?
Our rifle hunters will most definately be pushing for a shortened archery season and if the resource is affected by the crossbow so will I. Pike