Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.
View Poll Results: What influenced the BOC the most in their decision to include the Xbow into archery?
Money or Profit Driven Motives
63.16%
Game Management Motives
5.26%
Increased Hunter Satisfaction and Opportunity
31.58%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Crossbows are now legal in Pa because.....

Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Nice pic lanse! U been working out?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
Sure,I'll explain.First,I oppose the use of crossbows but it's for purely personal reason.Crossbows will not increase the number of deer killed in any appreciable way.Anterless harvests are controlled by allocations and buck harvests are controlled by rifles.Chances are,most deer that get shot in archery season,would have been shot in rifle season.I killed a buck and 4 doe last year with a bow.Had I not hunted in archery season,I nguarantee you that I'd have filled those same tags with a rifle.Money has very little to do with it.No one was paid off that I know and I haven't seen any evidence to suggest differently.The adds in the digest would add up to insignificant change used to offset the cost of printing.Besides,crosbow manufactures have been advetising for years.Any increase in antlerless lisences would be nice but again,not all that significant.If they sell another 25000 archery stamps,that's only $375,000.That's chump change in a budget the size of the PGC's.

Crossbows really won't impact the resource at all.What it will do is make it easier for people to participate.Making everything easier puts a sour taste in my mounth but this is clearly a social issue because some people(me included)disagree with making everything easier.This isn't a way to get more deer killed or to make more money.The bottom line is,no solid arguments from the anti-crossbow side were able to overcome the fact that so many able-bodoed hunters wanted an easier way to hunt.

You have to remeber,over the past decade,we've lost probably more archery hunters than crossbows will bring in to the woods.The resource will not be greatly effected.In all honesty,I ain't too concerned about the small number of guys who I know bought crossbows.These guys can't kill deer with rifles.I don't imagine they'll raise much hell with a crossbow.
Doug; I'm just giving my opinion here and asking you a question. First,the PGC says over the years we lost approximately 69,000 bowhunters. As of Aug. 31 we already gained 40,000 of those bowhunters back. I'm pretty sure quite a few more where waiting on the final vote before going out and purchasing their crossbow. From the info I'm gathering at two of the archery shops I visit, they are also getting large numbers of past archers trading in their compounds for crossbows.IMO,you will see a increase in the bow kill this year. Both in buck and doe. If we see an increase in the buck kill. Do you feel there will not be any pressure from the firearm hunters towards any changes of the existing six week archery season?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mostly my right arm
Old 09-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by boilermaker85
Nice pic lanse! U been working out?
Now everything makes sense.... After seeing you compliment a pic of a half naked man I realized your "limp wrist" probably prevents you from drawing back a bow like us heterosexual men.
FYI Heterosexual means you desire the opposite sex. i know you get confused at times.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Lmfao! Dont be a hater man! Crossbows rule! Go buy one you will like it! And you might even be able to fill a tag or two!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blkpowder
Doug; I'm just giving my opinion here and asking you a question. First,the PGC says over the years we lost approximately 69,000 bowhunters. As of Aug. 31 we already gained 40,000 of those bowhunters back. I'm pretty sure quite a few more where waiting on the final vote before going out and purchasing their crossbow. From the info I'm gathering at two of the archery shops I visit, they are also getting large numbers of past archers trading in their compounds for crossbows.IMO,you will see a increase in the bow kill this year. Both in buck and doe. If we see an increase in the buck kill. Do you feel there will not be any pressure from the firearm hunters towards any changes of the existing six week archery season?
We'll have to wait and see until the final number are out.I didn't anything showing there was an increase of 40000 new hunters.Because of the speed of the new pos system,you can't compare those numbers until after the season.

Antlerless allocations determine the antlerless kill and rifle season dictates how many bucks will be killed.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

final numbers just in from pa 186000 spike bucks 9300 scrawny does! another record set thanx to all who particpated!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
We'll have to wait and see until the final number are out.I didn't anything showing there was an increase of 40000 new hunters.Because of the speed of the new pos system,you can't compare those numbers until after the season.

Antlerless allocations determine the antlerless kill and rifle season dictates how many bucks will be killed.
These numbers came from our local paper supposedly quoting the PGC .From the article-By Aug.31 of last year,the agency had sold 170,109 archery licenses. By the same date this year,it has sold 210,230 archery license.

As for what the archery shops claiming large numbers of past archer's trading in their compounds for crossbows. I have no numbers
for their claims. But it was also mentioned in the article along with the jump in archery license sales.

From the article-Crossbows were legalized for use by all hunters in special-regulations areas several years ago. That lead to more deer being killed. After the introduction of crossbows for 2B,the total reported kill was a jump of 13%. Interestingly.though,the percentage of the harvest taken by hunters using crossbows jumped from 12 to 36 percent over the same time.

Again,IMO, changes will have to be made. Especially if the archery buck kill increases. The firearm hunters are going to demand changes.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default These are the numbers!

final numbers just in from pa 186000 spike bucks 9300 scrawny does! another record set thanx to all who particpated!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

You obviously havent got a clue about PA and are in participating in this thread purely as a troll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.