Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.
View Poll Results: What influenced the BOC the most in their decision to include the Xbow into archery?
Money or Profit Driven Motives
63.16%
Game Management Motives
5.26%
Increased Hunter Satisfaction and Opportunity
31.58%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Crossbows are now legal in Pa because.....

Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

I also disagree with this social choice idea. If it was social it wouldn't have required a revote on the subject, the overwhelming majorities voice would have been heard. I never heard anyone speaking out in favor of crossbows to make the inclusion a precedence. I have however heard many hunters state disatisfaction in the current deer management plan and yet that remains the same
Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
It's tough to pick any of them.It was a social decision,plain and simple.
Doug can you please explain? Thanks, Pike
Old 09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I voted money.That was pretty obvious although it will help increase the deer harvest in some areas.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Germain! good to see you on here!!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned

"That was pretty obvious although it will help increase the deer harvest in some areas."

If that true, its not a good thing. According to pgc, the only places pgc supposedly is and has been still trying to further reduce are the sras where crossbows had already been legal. SUPPOSEDLY the goals are stabilization most other wmus. Even though the pgc annual report data of the last 4 years doesnt support that as the goal. If further reduction occurs elsewhere, it is completely counter to the stated supposed goals.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:07 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Did you guys consider that for every license sold in any state that state gets money from the Pittman/Robertson Act.

So the more you sell the more you get.............Every license fee, every kill tag and every application for a kill tag. Any fee the DNR can validate they get a certain percentage back.

So knowing that - helps one to understand why.

And the poll actually all 3 choices apply.
JW
Old 09-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couldn't get the license increase.

Sell more archery licenses at $16 a pop and make up for it that way I guess.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by J Pike
Doug can you please explain? Thanks, Pike
Sure,I'll explain.First,I oppose the use of crossbows but it's for purely personal reason.Crossbows will not increase the number of deer killed in any appreciable way.Anterless harvests are controlled by allocations and buck harvests are controlled by rifles.Chances are,most deer that get shot in archery season,would have been shot in rifle season.I killed a buck and 4 doe last year with a bow.Had I not hunted in archery season,I nguarantee you that I'd have filled those same tags with a rifle.Money has very little to do with it.No one was paid off that I know and I haven't seen any evidence to suggest differently.The adds in the digest would add up to insignificant change used to offset the cost of printing.Besides,crosbow manufactures have been advetising for years.Any increase in antlerless lisences would be nice but again,not all that significant.If they sell another 25000 archery stamps,that's only $375,000.That's chump change in a budget the size of the PGC's.

Crossbows really won't impact the resource at all.What it will do is make it easier for people to participate.Making everything easier puts a sour taste in my mounth but this is clearly a social issue because some people(me included)disagree with making everything easier.This isn't a way to get more deer killed or to make more money.The bottom line is,no solid arguments from the anti-crossbow side were able to overcome the fact that so many able-bodoed hunters wanted an easier way to hunt.

You have to remeber,over the past decade,we've lost probably more archery hunters than crossbows will bring in to the woods.The resource will not be greatly effected.In all honesty,I ain't too concerned about the small number of guys who I know bought crossbows.These guys can't kill deer with rifles.I don't imagine they'll raise much hell with a crossbow.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

choice number one and choice number three go hand in hand! more hunters more money! pa guys act like the xbow companys bought the pgc! thats crazy!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Of course, the interesting thing would be to do a poll to try to identify any type of inclusion regarding deer hunting weapons that doesnt have a large economic component to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.