Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Interview with Pa wmu 2A archery shop owner

Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The same applies to those that use the propaganda from QDMA to support ARs.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
The same applies to those that use the propaganda from QDMA to support ARs.
It's been awhile BB, and I will probably regret asking but what propaganda by QDMA do you mean?
QDMA stresses the importance of a deer's age structure over antler size. I have yet to see "propaganda" stated by QDMA that hasn't been proven. When you bastardize any piece of information no matter the source it will lose it's legitimacy. You can't pick and choose what parts you want to apply, AR without responsible buck to doe population management or food and mineral sources or genetics and age structure will never create trophy deer. QDMA is by far the most respected and legitimate organization dedicated to scientific whitetail deer management we have today. What is your issue with them?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
It's been awhile BB, and I will probably regret asking but what propaganda by QDMA do you mean?
QDMA stresses the importance of a deer's age structure over antler size. I have yet to see "propaganda" stated by QDMA that hasn't been proven. When you bastardize any piece of information no matter the source it will lose it's legitimacy. You can't pick and choose what parts you want to apply, AR without responsible buck to doe population management or food and mineral sources or genetics and age structure will never create trophy deer. QDMA is by far the most respected and legitimate organization dedicated to scientific whitetail deer management we have today. What is your issue with them?
only thing that gets you is when you go to a QDMA meeting and they talk about seeing 7 dead deer in 1 area do to eating corn we put in feeder.

first its hard to find 7 at 1 feeder,most i have seen is 6.then i asked, DO YOU HAVE PICTURES OF 7 DEAD DEER.NO

DID YOU CONTACT THE LOCAL WCO IN CAMERON/ELK COUNTY,NO
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Banned

"Used to shoot in a 3D league with that guy."

Lmao...Sure ya did! LMAO.

"To say uneducated is being very kind. Anyone citing this guy's words as a case against the deer plan aint gonna help his case."

Guess he was too dumb to point out that everyone coming in the shop are very unhappy, when most already know its a fact anyway? Notice the parts I quoted.

" The reason I want to know did it really work is that, if it did work and we are going to have bigger deer, where are they," Polish said."

"Polish said that many Fayette county hunters who patronize the shop say that deer are scarce in the county."

"He said "Ive only been back 4 to 6 weeks but everybody coming into the store is scratching their heads about the theory of our deer management program and asking, 'does this work?"

"Alot of the people are saying that worked three years ago, Now they are coming backsaying they dont have any big bucks on their farms."

""This is what Im hearing. Im hearing that more than "there are big bucks out there".

"Polish said that nearly everyone that visits his shop these days asks, "wheres the deer"?
"Pennsylvania sold its deer herd," Polish said. The deer population has had everything against it. We had the deer disease, laws have changed and there are just way too many doe licenses being sold. It has to take its toll on the deer herd."

Gee, we need Einstein to corroborate those claims dont we? lmao. Pretty much common knowledge and what is going on pretty much anywhere you go in Pa these days. Btw, thats why the post was made, not to show how the bow shop guy could "dissect" the data of the failed deer management plan which he didnt even attempt to do. But on the other hand we've already accomplished that. And just as with the low hunter satisfaction it = complete and miserable failure for the deerless program.

Btw, the WRITER fo the article the outdoor columnist also isnt for the failed program and says so regularly. In this article said this: "I, too, am concerned. As one who travels the roads at night, I see very few deer when traveling home anymore. When I do see 1 thats usually what i see-- one. I seldom see two or even three, and I dont remember the last time I saw a group of 5 or more."

Guess he is just "uneducated" too? Just like several hundred thousand hunters who dont buy into the garbage either?

Last edited by Cornelius08; 09-17-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
"Used to shoot in a 3D league with that guy."

Lmao...Sure ya did! LMAO.

"To say uneducated is being very kind. Anyone citing this guy's words as a case against the deer plan aint gonna help his case."

Guess he was too dumb to point out that everyone coming in the shop are very unhappy, when most already know its a fact anyway? Gee, we need Einstein to corroborate that claim dont we? lmao. Btw, thats why the post was made, not to show how the bow shop guy could "dissect" the data of the failed deer management plan. We've already accomplished that. And just as with the low hunter satisfaction it = complete and miserable failure.
Last year I stopped in to a small pro shop in Cambria county called Lecorchik's or something like that.A poster on another board that cries louder than anyone, claimed to be buddy's with the guy so I had to stop.He seemed like a super nice guy,had a huge full body mount of an awesome deer that he shot a several years ago so it was interesting to talk with him.He didn't cry like a kindygardner like this other guy but he definately seemed less than impressed with his own local deer hunting adventures.He told me he only passed 18 or 21(it was one of those two) differerent bucks that year and didn't have any real big shooters in range.Now I'm not saying this guy was a whiner.He seemed like a nice guy and a great hunter,no doubt.However,when you pass that many bucks in a season,you don't have it too awefully bad.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Banned

Id hardly think that scenario likely reaslistically the case with the majority (or for that matter ANY) of thsoe going into the archery shop spoken of in the initial post i made, or much of anyone anywhere else where hunters are complaining.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

QDMA stresses the importance of a deer's age structure over antler size. I have yet to see "propaganda" stated by QDMA that hasn't been proven
IMHO QDMA are hypocrites for supporting a 50% reduction in the statewide herd ,while doing everything possible to protect their lease holders from the effects of HR. Furthermore,if any one believes QDM members spend all that money on food plots, leases and supplemental feeding just to improve the health of the herd , they are not dealing with reality. The fact is that the main goal of QDM is to produce more bucks with bigger racks and in order to accomplish that they have to do whatever they can to improve the habitat and the health of the herd.

If you want to see what happens when QDMA principles are applied to an area without food plots, unlimited hunter access and no supplemental feeding ,read the KQDC 200(9 annual report and see how much the herd and harvests and how little it accomplished in improving the habitat or the quality of the deer.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTB,

I got to call you on that comment about Kevin Polish. I DO know Kevin personally.

The guy knows his sh*t about deer and hunting. Hunted with some of his buddies back in the early 90's for turkey.

I hunt 2A and have been to his shop many times. His boy was parralized from a treestand accident several years ago and has also pretty much taken over the shop.

Kevin is one heck of a nice guy. Knows his stuff about bows too.

Was the top seller of Matthews bows in the country a few years ago but has since had a falling out with them and won't carry their bows.

The guy has taken many large bucks in Greene CO. way before AR's. Always passes up bucks others wouldn't think twice about shooting. Done it for years. Even been known to put less experienced hunters in his stands for them.

He was on a video kick for a while filming his and other's hunts.

All in all, the guy knows his stuff. Hunting from 2A myself I know some of the area he hunts. He is well known in these parts. Everyone knows Kevin's when you talk archery down here.

Last edited by Windwalker7; 09-17-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
BTB,

I got to call you on that comment about Kevin Polish. I DO know Kevin personally.

The guy knows his sh*t about deer and hunting. Hunted with some of his buddies back in the early 90's for turkey.

I hunt 2A and have been to his shop many times. His boy was parralized from a treestand accident several years ago and has also pretty much taken over the shop.

Kevin is one heck of a nice guy. Knows his stuff about bows too.

Was the top seller of Matthews bows in the country a few years ago but has since had a falling out with them and won't carry their bows.

The guy has taken many large bucks in Greene CO. way before AR's. Always passes up bucks others wouldn't think twice about shooting. Done it for years. Even been known to put less experienced hunters in his stands for them.

He was on a video kick for a while filming his and other's hunts.

All in all, the guy knows his stuff. Hunting from 2A myself I know some of the area he hunts. He is well known in these parts. Everyone knows Kevin's when you talk archery down here.
WW, I dont know what to tell you. I have no reason to doubt your opinion. It was quite a while ago that we were in the same league and I cant say I knew him as well as you seem to but the Kevin I remember sounded just like the guy who was interviewed.
As I say it was a long time ago but nothing in that article told me that much has changed.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's another thing I wanted to add about hunting in 2A.

We have a 4pt restriction in this area. We do see many small bucks.

What we see here that seems odd is there are so many small bucks compared to large bucks.

I know that I personally expect to see more big bucks each year because of all the small/younger bucks I've seen the previous year. Yet it doesn't happen. I don't see more bigger bucks.

I do see some impressive six points, though. But they're not legal here.

I guess I keep expecting to see all those little spikes and fork horns to get bigger the next year but I don't see it happening.

Oh, Greene Co. does have some nice bucks, don't get me wrong. It's just that with all tose small/ young bucks that get to live another year, I expect to see more big bucks the following year, but it doesn't happen.

I'm thinking that bucks that have a 7-8point rack at 1 1/2 get shot while the fours and sixes get another year. We are taking bucks with the better genes out of the pool. After several years of this, the bucks get high graded.

I think we are just now seeing the results of high grading here in 2A. I believe others that hunt this area are seeing it like I do.

Apparently so after Kevins comments.

And yes, he was all for the AR's several years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.