Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mast crop in your area?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in NH we seem to have an abundance of acorns and beechnuts. While that is great news for the deer, it may not be in the best interest of hunters.

Since we don't have big deer numbers like other states/provinces, we rely on scouting which obviously include finding the food source. In years with little/no mast, the deer must travel to find feed and conversly if the mast is heavy, the deer won't have to move much in finding feed. This also applies to hunting bear as well.

As much as I like to see plenty of feed for the deer, especially in anticipation of a hard winter, history has taught me the less feed available, the more deer sightings I can expect.

Just my .02
Old 09-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Pawildman
........Just wondering how the nut crop is generally. Here in SW PA where I live, the ground is getting covered with acorns already. The walnuts were plentiful as well as the hickory nuts. Seems the game should have good feed this winter around here, anyhow...Anyone else been out looking around?
Yea cause there isn't any deer to eat them is why.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

No mature oak trees on our property. We do have beech trees and they seem to be producing well.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:22 PM
PHA
Fork Horn

Pawildman:

I am up in Elk County and our red oaks are dropping a lot acorns this year. I haven't been to any white oak spots to know if they produced or not. There are no grapes, no apples and very few cherries - at least where I've been.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

very good in ulster ny.