Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Do bobcats kill deer? Here is the answer.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fingerz42
Coyotes dont run in "packs".. they run male/female at some points of the year, but they arent like wolves that run in packs of 5-7.. coyotes run in pairs usually at most.. Every once in a while you might see a group of 3 or 4..
i have seen pack of 4 .USUALLY its 2 i see and yes, its male/female.

Last edited by sproulman; 08-30-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42
You need to look into the biology of coyotes. They arent a pack oriented animal.. people who hear them in the woods often think 2 or 3 sound like 5 or 6.. Also, in the winter the coyotes are paired up and attempting to breed..

Look it up and then get back to me..
I dont need to, The area my property is in has one of highest yote populations in the entire state of OH. and my area has the highest bobcat population in the state. I see them all the time, get pics of them all the time, hear them every morning while walking to my stand and every eve. while exiting my stand aswell as from my back porch. Having a pack of yotes come under my stand before light is a pretty common occurance and Leaving a deer over night is not an option, actually leaving a downed deer alone for a half hour isnt wise. There is no doubt that yotes hunt in packs because I have seen 4-7 yotes together too many times thru out the year. Pike
Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lol, fine dude.. Your coyotes just defy the entire biology and behavior of all coyotes known to man.. but whatever..
Old 08-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen hundreds of coyotes over the past thirty years or so but never in a pack of what would be more then what make up a family group.

I have seen as many as two adults and three pups together in the late summer a couple of times. I have never seen more then two hunting together once the pups are dispersed in the fall though.

I have seen as many as three sets of coyote tracks where they were traveling together in the snow a few times though. That would probably be a male, a female and one of the last year pups that hadn’t yet been dispersed.

Dick Bodenhorn
Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by R.S.B.
I have seen hundreds of coyotes over the past thirty years or so but never in a pack of what would be more then what make up a family group.

I have seen as many as two adults and three pups together in the late summer a couple of times. I have never seen more then two hunting together once the pups are dispersed in the fall though.

I have seen as many as three sets of coyote tracks where they were traveling together in the snow a few times though. That would probably be a male, a female and one of the last year pups that hadn’t yet been dispersed.

Dick Bodenhorn
2 years ago was first time i saw 4 together and it was in late jan while i was grouse hunting.the big one was about 50 yds from rest and the other 3 were together.mostly its 2 together .i saw one a cross forks in field by the bridge over cross fork creek on rt144 last week by itself.it had black feet and black tail and this was at noon too.i stopped on my motorcycle and watched it cross the field near bridge.

residents told me they are seeing cougar again in this area.i got reports of one again in the hammersly fork wildlife area.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

fingerz your really never going to believe this then. Two Nov.'s ago I heard a rukus and thought it was chasing (the rut) so I got ready, then I saw movement comming right for me, it was a yote carrying the head of a spike buck in its mouth, a couple seconds later another yote came running past and this one was carrying something in its mouth aswell, as it got closer i was able to see what it was, believe it or not this yote was carrying a soccer ball in its mouth!! (not fully inflated) then 3 more yotes in single file followed suit. Also last year my buddy from NJ. (who is also a member here and goes by the name DougV ( I believe ) shot a doe one eve. and returned with his brother and the atv. to retrieve it only to pull up on a large pack of yotes and they would not leave, my buddy who is a police officer and his brother who is a federal air marshall didnt think much of it and decided just to scare the yotes off, but they were not scared and decided to defend their prize so much so that my buddy and his brother
started to fear for their safety and started wishing they had a sidearm with them, since they did not they decided to let the yotes keep the doe because it just wasnt worth taking the chance. Pike
Old 08-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

In Jackson County Ohio where I have hunted many times... we have no doubts that the coyotes are running in packs. When you hear one you hear 6 and more to the point that it is a frenzy not capable of being made by 3 or 4 coyotes. Too many vocalizations going on at once. If you shoot a deer and wait till morning to go get it ... Forget It, they will have it eaten within hours, definitely the work of more than a pair of dogs, these deer are upwards of 250 to 280 pound deer. We even had a pack of 13 wild dogs running the property last year ranging from a Great Pyrenese to a little terrier mix and everything in between.
Whether you think they run in packs or you feel 4 dogs isn't enough to equate to being a pack or they are only running in "family groups" doesn't matter to me. I'll kill every last one I can. And when you climb your stand in the dark and hear them howling and yipping from every direction within 100 yds of you there is nothing anyone can tell me to make me think that they do not (at times) run in packs

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 09-01-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

4ever has pretty much had the same experiences that we have had but described it way better than I did. Zac dont worry you will be able to hunt yotes on your new property until your heart is content!! And your more than welcome to come over and shoot some of ours if you want. Pike
Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by J Pike
4ever has pretty much had the same experiences that we have had but described it way better than I did. Zac dont worry you will be able to hunt yotes on your new property until your heart is content!! And your more than welcome to come over and shoot some of ours if you want. Pike
Awesome, I'll take you up on that in the off season when I go out to fill feeders and plant plots and do the other stuff that needs tending to. Coyotes are alot of fun to hunt by calling but we used to have a gut pile site and that has greatly increased the odds of taking some yotes out. I aim to kill by any means legal.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Fork Horn

To sum it up...That's nature for good or bad, always is and always will be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.