Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Do bobcats kill deer? Here is the answer.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Sad?? What on earth is "sad"a bout it? Bobcats are one of the most beautiful and elusive animals in the state. And that one is simply doing what they do to survive. Kill and eat deer! Why is it any worse than busting one with a 300 mag for us to eat??

Its not. Gotta envy their hunting skill, they do it without a gun.

Bobcats dont run in "packs" like coyotes do at times and they never overly abundant because of defending territories and just by their nature.

They arent gonna wipe out anyones deer herd anytime soon, though the Pa game commission just might. If the herd were not at rock bottom rediculous levels there would be plenty of deer for human and predator alike and not such heated competition for the available few.

Shouldnt be hunting b'cats because they are a deer devouring scourge like over abundant coyotes can be at times. They should be hunted because they are a trophy animal and you love to hunt.

WHAT HE SAID ^^^^^^
Old 08-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
Here is yet another opponent the whitetail deer faces. The deck is definitely stacked against them here in Pa. I debated on applying for the bobcat permit now that I saw this I will be. These pics were taken by my friend's co-worker in Gratz Pa.
Some on here questioned whether or not a bear will kill fawns, here is proof a bobcat will do the same.
But when we have to apply via lottery to get a bobcat permit and we aren't allowed to hunt bear until almost all of them are denned up it is hard to control the predator population in areas where it is needed.

this is why i stopped feeding the deer apples i had pics on my trailcamera of 2 coyotes coming in from 2 directions and attacked a fawn with mother.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes dont run in "packs".. they run male/female at some points of the year, but they arent like wolves that run in packs of 5-7.. coyotes run in pairs usually at most.. Every once in a while you might see a group of 3 or 4..
Old 08-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Very common to see packs running 4 or more animals here in Vermont and they do hunt as a team. I have often seen the scouts going into a swamp with the chasers laying in wait at the end near the field. Just this past winter a neighbor let his beagle out for a pee and saw it run up the hill into the floodlight and crash into a glass sliding door. The owner looked out and there was a yote standing there right next to the edge of the deck pavement. He saw another at the edge of the light and tracks and full body mark of 2 others laying in the snow at the bottom of the hill. This pack had 2 laying at the bottom of the hill 100 yds from the house and sent 2 to the other side to try and push the dog away from the house. Luckily the owners had been sliding downhill from the glass door and there was a packed path that allowed the beagle to get up to the door. That close yote did get his mouth on the dog and the owners found 2 puncture marks in the dogs hammies. He did get one a couple of weeks after since they always come back. 2 years ago while ice fishing I counted a pack of 8 eating a deer they chased out on the ice.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't seen one in our area. I'm sure they are there, just haven't seen one yet. we have a lot of coyotes in our area.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42
Coyotes dont run in "packs".. they run male/female at some points of the year, but they arent like wolves that run in packs of 5-7.. coyotes run in pairs usually at most.. Every once in a while you might see a group of 3 or 4..
Yes they do run in packs, I see and hear them all year long. Pike
Old 08-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, coyotes dont TYPICALLY run in packs.. The photo you just posted is a family.. That has a male and female and the pups.. The pups will be released and on their own around mid september.. Let me know if you are getting pictures of 5 coyotes together then....
Old 08-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

fingerz I see them hunting in packs during the season, I see their tracks in the snow during the winter aswell. They do hunt in packs. Pike
Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to look into the biology of coyotes. They arent a pack oriented animal.. people who hear them in the woods often think 2 or 3 sound like 5 or 6.. Also, in the winter the coyotes are paired up and attempting to breed..

Look it up and then get back to me..
Old 08-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

I seen a lot of coyotes over the years hunting out west. I never witnessed them hunting in packs. Only one time I seen them paired up. They were always hunting solo. Maybe its a regional thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.