Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA's success story

Old 07-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA's success story

I have had bear several times and dont care if i ever give it another try . Glad some have better luck with it thou
Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bear didn't turn me on either. But i liked hunting them and i had guys in my group that would take the meat, sooooo another opportunity to have fun in the woods. Never got one but as modst bear hunters storries "should have been here last year"
Old 07-07-2009, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: 4evrhtn

Having worked in Taxidermy and skinning so many different animals I would compare bear flesh to that of a ground hog in smell. It's tough for me to get past that after having skinned so many of them. I will take your word on the table fare, don't need to prove you right. I will donate any meat from any bear I shoot to someone who enjoys it.
AMEN! They don't smell so good! Mostly it seems to be the hide that smells but the fat is disgusting too.

I'd bet that we didnt get 75 lbs of meat from a 300 pound bear oncewe trimmed out all the fat. It hadseveral inches of fatacross the back and was a nightmare to butcher but the meat was fantastic.

We made sausage by mixing 60/40 bear/pork and did roasts by cooking em very slow on low heat. Never had anyone try it and not aks for some more.
You're right about the fat, it is nasty stuff and the smell clings to you. If the person who shot the bear attempted to remove most of the fat when skinning it by cutting close to the meat, I have found that for every 100 pounds the bears weigh I can usually fill at least a5 gallon bucket with fat and that isn't trimming the meat. A 600 pounder would be a mess to flesh and I wouldn't want that job. When it comes to fleshing them on the board the whole area turns as slick as an ice skating rink. If the hide is cooled it is alot easier but when room temp the fat literally melts.

Did you add alot of seasoning to the sausage when you made it? I know it has to take more than what is normally used in deer sausage. Have you ever tried bear sausage mixeditalian seasoning and then smoked? If I do shoot one and decide to attempt to eat a bit this is how I will probably will do it using the same pork /bear ratio you mentioned.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Both bears I killed and butchered myself were quartered and nearly frozen before the butchering began. The fat is easy to trim when chilled to the point of being very firm and that helps termendously with that smell.

All of the sausages deer and bear that we make are somewhat spicy.
The bear sausage we made was doneusing all my deer sausage recipes without any changes. One mix we use is a little bit hot (but mild enough that most kids and women will eat it too) and utilizes a little liquid smoke. Another favorite I have used is an old German Christmas sausage recipe that does require a true cure and several hours in the smoker. Cabelas Chorizo seasoning mix isanother very good one.

If you want, I can get the wife to dig up the recipes and I can email em to you or post em here.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Sure, send me a PM or whatever. The wife is always looking for new wild game recipes, especially for game that has more of a wild flavor to it such as goose.
We took the kids out to eat the other week at a burger and steak house and the youngest 2 ordered burgers. When they bit into them they said "what is this meat? It tastes weird."They have been eating venison for so long that domestic burger is foreign to them. I thought it was funny... Beef has become exotic to them. They also prefer pheasant over chicken.Too bad we don't have a wild pheasant population like we used to. Going to the Game farms to train the dogs and acquire more meat gets expensive.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Will dig em up and get em to you.

Enjoy!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know what happened in this particular case, but something dramatic happened. This spring a farmer was seeing 11 fawns coming into his fields on a regular basis. Then almost from no where bear started showing up and the fawn count started dropping off till now he sees only ONE fawn. Between the bobcats, coyotes and bear it seems that alot of the fawns have been eliminated. I am not saying that all ten of the missing fawns have been killed, but I'll wager a good portion of them have been. The PGC did a fawn mortality impact study awhile back but I don't know what were the end results. I too have seen more bear than deer during turkey and deer season a couple of times.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

btb can you post your recipe or send it to me
Old 07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bowtruck
btb can you post your recipe or send it to me

Sure will. Been away a few days and haven't dug it up ( or to be more accurate, asked the wife where se keeps it) yet but I'll get it done in the next coupla days