Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Money mismanagement at PGC???

Old 07-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Money mismanagement at PGC???

ORIGINAL: rem700man

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Any one know a state where the hunters own 1.1 million acres?
Succeeding Cornelius using Va as an example of public land available for use by hunters i will quote this from virginiagameandfish.com.

"
Virginia deer hunters are never very far from an opportunity to bag a deer on public land. Be it military lands open for deer hunting, state parks, VDGIF lands or Fish and Wildlife Service property, there are 2 million acres of public land in Virginia where hunters play a role in managing the deer herd.

Many of the hunts have their own set of rules and regulations concerning firearms, gear that is permitted and methods of hunting allowed. Managed hunts do require an application and small fee and have a deadline in the late summer or early fall months to apply. However, the extra effort put in to fill out an application, qualify with a firearm and possess a hunter education card will often result in a great place to hunt and put venison in the freezer.

Read on to find the hunt that fits your schedule and desires in your region"

These are not"hunter" owned lands but land available for use as a hunter!
I posted about PA's game lands only, the Allegheny national forest alone comprises 512,998acres . And there are over 2 million acre's of other state forest open to hunting.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

Land open to hunting is land open to hunting. There are plenty of states with plenty of land open to hunting. And often, that is land that actually has game on it.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

Land open to hunting is land open to hunting. There are plenty of states with plenty of land open to hunting. And often, that is land that actually has game on it.
Not quite. Your original point was the budget of the PGC. That budget includes the maintenance of gamelands. That a game agency owns and maintains hunting land IS unique to PA and comparing that to states with public land where the bills are paid by other agencies is just plain ridiculous.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

How can you complain about land that is FREE to HUNT....?

Corne land open to hunting is land open to hunting ? If some person was to open up ssay a 1000 acre farm for hunting . It still wouldnt be state ownd property. And that person could close it at anytime ..
Old 07-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned

Maverick11, there are many ways to look at your statement. One would be that some states charge fees for some of the public hunting areas. Im not suggesting we do that, because we dont need to when we have 3 to 10 times the hunters of other states, and we shouldnt have to. But the fact is, that money pays for the maintenance etc. of those lands and is included in their budgets. Yet ours is a couple to several times higher than many if not all states.

Could also look at it another way. Is having a so-called "independent" agency benefiting us?? Or is it and outdated worthless system?? If it takes so much more money from us to run it. The way I see it, the gamelands are managed as multi-use areas already. Other interests also have direct say in their usage and management here involving nonhunting interests. In fact some are completely counter to the best interest of hunting on those lands. They are also managed the same as stateforests as far as the timbering rotation and management of nongame species... Most are among the most game poor areas of the state.

I see no benefit of land being designated as "gamelands" over lands that are stateforest here in Pa. Deer densities and Id imagine other game as well are no more abundant on gamelands than the stateforests etc. here. And to compare the hunting on our gamelands to stateforest lands in OTHER states is a complete joke. They are "game" lands in name only.[:'(]
Old 07-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Banned

Bowtruck, I was talking about the millions of acres across the country that you dont have to spend a dime to hunt. National and stateforests in many states as well as other "public" land hunting options.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cornelius
you said you don't have to spend a dime to hunt them.
As you said they are free. So how can people complain That pa's free to hunt land has little game ? IF in-fact
their is little game on them.
Thou i do seem to thinkthey may mismanage our money. But i haven't spent alot of time into looking into were
the money goes. so the above statement is just a opinion.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Banned

They were paid for with hunter dollars. We didnt pay for them so that audubon could hang a bird house on every tree. They were initially called game lands for a reason. Though currently that reason is getting fuzzier by the year.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

alright, but most if not all of them wasnt bought with your hunter dollars.

I do agree that the audubon does have to much say.[:@]
Old 07-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

They were paid for with hunter dollars. We didnt pay for them so that audubon could hang a bird house on every tree. They were initially called game lands for a reason. Though currently that reason is getting fuzzier by the year.
Any time I'm bird hunting, grouse or pheasants I hunt game lands and I know this might come to a shock to some of you, but most areas that hold birds also hold plenty of deer.

Quick Reply: Money mismanagement at PGC???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.