Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mother and fawn

Old 06-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default mother and fawn

The mother crossed thru my yard but no fawn today. Its been like clockwork for weeks 7:15 mama and fawn walk by. I saw a fox a couple days ago hope it didnt get fawn. There 2 other sets around the back and side lawn. I hope the 2 sets of twinsdont go missing .

Old 06-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: mother and fawn

I hope those fawns show up. Up here I was getting a little worried to. Hadn't been seeing any fawns at all. But last night they were out in full force. Every doe that wespotted had a fawn, and we evenspotted 2 fawns that had no doe anywhere in sight. The real treat though were the 2 cubs that were playing in a tree along a state forest road. Man those rascals were cute.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw some cubs maybe 2 weeks ago .about 10 min from home stopped and watched them

Didnt even seen th e mother deer Tonight
Old 06-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Its actually a little too early to see many of the fawns traveling with the does. They usually don’t start traveling with the does full time until mid to late July.

Many of them are still to small to keep up with mom so they still use the hider strategy most of the time with mom just coming around to feed them about four to six times every day. Often one or both of them, if there are two, will follow mom for a ways then split off and go hide while mom goes on her merry way. She will come back when it is time to feed the fawns again, but most of her time is spent without the fawns following. Each day the fawns will follow her more and more but it will still be almost a month before they follow her all the time.

I also suspect there are more does with only one surviving fawn this year then what is normal or has occurred the past couple years, at least in the northern tier. We had a hard winter again this year and that typically results in more under weight fawns that don’t survive after birth. About half of the does I checked this spring had one fawn that was much smaller then its twin. The smaller ones probably didn’t make it after being born, thus more does with only one fawn in tow this fall.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

we got report of a 100 pd bear running up dirt road at left branch of youngwomans creek,clinton county with fawn in its mouth.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

rsb The deer feed in my yard or across the road in the field lawn that is kept mowed
I dunno what happen but fawn did follow and feed there But i hope you are right and it is just hiding
Old 06-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

There are a multitude of mortality causes for fawns and there is no question that many don’t survive to their first fall. But, it is just too early yet to get a good feeling for how many fawns each doe has at this point.

Mortality will continue to reduce the fawn numbers all summer and fall but if they make it through the first three weeks their survival rate gets much higher.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 06-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Predation and other forms of fawn mortality are not a problem in PA. The major reason for the decrease in fawn recruitment is the increased harvest of mature doe. It is up to the professional deer managers to adjust antlerless allocations to allow for normal fawn mortality ,since there is very little they can do to reduce fawn mortality.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Predation and other forms of fawn mortality are not a problem in PA. The major reason for the decrease in fawn recruitment is the increased harvest of mature doe. It is up to the professional deer managers to adjust antlerless allocations to allow for normal fawn mortality ,since there is very little they can do to reduce fawn mortality.
So as our board expert Larry has so eloquently stated you doe slayers are responsible for those damed bear, coyotes and Buick's killing all of the fawns, I hope your happy.[:@]
Old 06-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bb YEAH[:'(]Right Bb do you just read what rsb post and go oposite?

going nowhere

Quick Reply: mother and fawn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.