Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mother and fawn

Old 06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mother and fawn

Wrong again sport. fawn mortality is an established fact of deer management which the PGC factors into their DMP. T it is the PGC which allocates the antlerless tags and encourages hunters to kill as many adult doe as possible. The PGC manages the herd using hunters to accomplish their goal.herefore,
Old 06-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

my cousin owns a lot of private ground in renovo area.he said he is not seeing hardly any fawns,so far this year but like rsb said, maybe its to early to see them.i will ask him again in middle of july.he lives in best hunting area around and should be able to give us good report of fawn count he is seeing.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Predation and other forms of fawn mortality are not a problem in PA. The major reason for the decrease in fawn recruitment is the increased harvest of mature doe. It is up to the professional deer managers to adjust antlerless allocations to allow for normal fawn mortality ,since there is very little they can do to reduce fawn mortality.

no doubt truth in old doe having effect on number of fawns.gary alt sat with me and rep hanna at lock haven university.he said, GUYS I WANT YOU TOO SHOOT AS MANY OLD DOE AS YOU CAN, HUNT THE OLD DOE.

he made that statement for reason.........
Old 06-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have said it before regarding deer managementand the impacts of whitetail predators–particularly coyotes–butdeer populations can still thrive in the presence ofhealthy predator populationsas long as high quality deer habitat is available.
However,even in the best habitat predatorswill havesome impact on white-tailed deer populations. I think most landowners, deermanagers, and hunters understand this fact. But evenso, it can be difficult to sit back andwait for predators to do what they do bestconsidering the time, energy, and money thatlandowners and hunters put into their property, leases, and deer management programs. It can be even more discouraging when such offenses are caught on camera.

alright attack bluebird
Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is by no means intended as an attack. I am simply providing a different perspective. If a herd in a given area was at it's MSY carrying capacity and predation was reduced to zero,what would hunters have to harvest to keep the herd at the MSY CC?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Each landowner or property manager must recognize the habitat needs of white-tailed deer on a continual basis and direct management towards meeting those needs. Since white-tailed deer have a relatively small home range of about ½ to 1 mile in radius over an annual basis, all of their needs for growth, reproduction, and cover must be met within this unit. Deer management is about food management–as in habitat.
Whitetail will seldom move from within their home range to meet their needs, even though better conditions may exists in the surrounding area! Deer are very versatile in their feeding habits and will eat a wide variety of items, including fruits, browse, forbs, agricultural crops, and even small amounts of grass. Deer “perform” best in habitat where a great variety of preferred food items are present

a example
Twenty-three buck, 97 doe, and 48 fawn photos were collected/observed. Of the 23 total buck observations, 15 individual bucks were identified. The buck to doe ratio was calculated to be 1 buck:4.2 does (23 bucks:97 does). Since 15 individual buck photos were taken, 15 was multiplied by 4.2 to give a doe population size of 63 animals
Let's take a look at how annual changes in fawn survival can impact your annual harvests. For example, let’s assume you have a long-term goal of 100 deer on your property, the property is at carrying capacity (100 deer), and you have a 1:1 buck to doe ratio. If your late summer/early fall fawn crop is estimated at 50% (25 fawns from 50 does) then you need to remove 25 deer this fall.
However, if you have an 80% fawn crop next year, that is a total of 40 animals you have to remove from the deer herd to keep the population at carrying capacity. Although your long-term population goal stays the same, your annual harvests will fluctuate to some extent. This is an adaptive harvest strategy allows you to keep number in line with carrying capacity and stay on track. As you can see, getting annual estimates of the deer population as a whole, and particularly fawn survival, is important for the proper management of your deer herd.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

We agree that hunters would have to harvest the number of deer that would equal recruitment. but, now the question becomes which deer should be harvested to keep the herd stable?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which is the best way to manage a deer herd? Shoot the does and nothing less thanan 8-point buck, or shoot spikes and 4-point bucks to allow the larger bucks to mature, while also thinning does? Well, the question is good one. The quick answer would be shoot all bucks with 4 or fewer antler points, older does,and keep your deer herd atcarrying capacity for the habitat. And although this harvest strategy would work for the some, it does not explain why this action would work.
First, I will assume that the carrying capacity of the property is known and that density, herd composition, and fawning success have been estimated through proper deer survey methods. Without this information it would be difficult to tell if any harvest strategy would work, because a high deer density or low buck to doe ratio either would mask or compound issues. But, assuming that the property provides adequate habitat for the deer found and the buck to doe ratio is healthy, then shooting bucks with 4 or less antler points and keeping the doe herd at its target level would improve your deer herd.
I dont know maybe But... i am also a fan a ars
Old 06-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

That did not answer the question since no one that manages a property would be satisfied with harvesting spikes .Y's and does and letting the big buck walk.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think i edited right before your post that i am a fan of ars thou

You asked what deer to keep the herd stable right

From what i see/read that would keep the herd stable yes/ no?

y's and doe wont keep people happy your right bb most wouldnt be

But as you and corny claim 99 percent of the state isnt happy now.

anyway time for bed

Quick Reply: mother and fawn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.