Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hey Phil from Maine, I got an idea

Old 07-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Phil, windwalker may have something there? I mean,when it comes time for your hunt and the moose are in rut,what can it hurt? But be careful! I watched a documentary on moose one time. It was a woman calling the moose and filming them. She said, when they roll their eye's back and all you see is white,it is time to run or bend over and kiss your butt goodbye! Because they are ready to come in like a freight train. I believe this happened to Dwight Schuh of Bowhunter Magazine.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
So, will you be calling with your mouth? The guides in Newfoundland did that.

You probably already know the shoe string and coffe can trick.
I will be using grunt tubes, one is a bull making a challenge and the other is a cow bella. I am thinking the cow bella will be better for that sent i will be putting out. Yes, i do know about the coffee can and string trick as well. Another technigue is to use an old boat paddle. When calling and the moose do not show them selves you take the old boat paddle and start smacking a few bushes around. They will normally step out then because they will think another bull is there.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by blkpowder
Phil, windwalker may have something there? I mean,when it comes time for your hunt and the moose are in rut,what can it hurt? But be careful! I watched a documentary on moose one time. It was a woman calling the moose and filming them. She said, when they roll their eye's back and all you see is white,it is time to run or bend over and kiss your butt goodbye! Because they are ready to come in like a freight train. I believe this happened to Dwight Schuh of Bowhunter Magazine.
Alot of the rut will be over during the October hunt. There will still be bulls looking for a late cow though. Normally they have been paired up or just wandering hoping to find that lone cow that came into heat late.
I think I saw that same documentary and the lady doing it was up in Alaska I tthink. It was pretty cool watching that. I think she had a large stick or something she held up on her head and the moose started wobbleing like. Then she brought it back down because she said something about how a moose will size up the other by the width of it's antlers.
One guy up here was charged by one once for no aparent reason. They have also attacked an oil barrel or two up here. They think because the outside oil barrel was black so maybe thought it was another moose or something like that.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 07-13-2009 at 03:08 AM.