Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Are we losing sight?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned

"Sorry dude, but if you have zero interest in hunting anything other than deer then you are always pretty much going to be vulnerable to disappointment."

Hardly. I dont disappoint easily. I spend plenty of days in archery without seeing a deer etc. Those days are only to be expected. Whats not to be expected is those numbers of days doubling since excessive reduction had occurred. Whats not acceptable is so many fewer deer including big buck for no good reason. Also not acceptable is seeing 3-8 deer on FIRST DAY of rifle season as MANY people i spoke with did, in whats supposed to be a "better" area of the state. Not to mention many whod seen 0-5 per day thereafter. Its a joke. This isnt f'in maine for christ sake!

" Ditto for kids that are being taught that deer hunting is the only worthwhile pursuit, and that effective management is keeping deer at overpopulated levels"

Dont know what state you are talking about, how about we stick with Pa to avoid confusion?

to keep so much "action" oout in the woods that even the short attention span folks are happy. You just explained a lot to me without even realizing it"

Gee thats great lance. I live to explain things to you, without my intending to do so. Especially when it permits you to make ridiculous claims & little asnine manufactured jabs such as your final statement of nonsense. I dont think I need tell you where you can stuff it troll.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Uhh, Cornie, you are the one that brought up the hypothetical situation where you would might have been discouraged from deer hunting if your dad had, for YEARS, come home empty handed during deer season. Who are these people who were/are/willbe coming home empty handed year after year to the point that their kids don't want to deer hunt. I'm not hearing that from the folks here, who you tend to claim are representative of attitudes in PA whenever it supports your agenda.

Don't have time to deal with some of your other weaker efforts to counter my discussion. It is a clear sign that you are on thin ice when you start resorting more to ad hominem attacks instead of sticking to the issues at hand. I'm running late for happy hour, so I will cut you loose for today. Maybe a nap would be a good idea.

Aftr some rest, why don't you get back to us with all these testimonials from the kids who dropped out of hunting and turned to heroin after years of seeing Dad come home epmty handed after weeks in the deer stand.

Last edited by Lanse couche couche; 12-14-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey corn, you may have new member to educate on pa hunting.

Last edited by sproulman; 12-14-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned

"Uhh, Cornie, you are the one that brought up the hypothetical situation where you would might have been discouraged from deer hunting if your dad had, for YEARS, come home empty handed during deer season. "

I didnt say i wouldnt have. I didnt say I wouldve. Point was who knows. A kid is a kid and at 8 years old or so, you dont know your arse from a hole in the ground about these issues. That goes for anyone, you included. Only common sense I suppose, but rather than just move along, you chose to try and be a wise-arse and act as if i said i wouldnt have hunted had that been the case.

"Who are these people who were/are/willbe coming home empty handed year after year to the point that their kids don't want to deer hunt."

Tell you what i'll survey all 900,000 of our ranks, just so i can give you the names and addresses of those who reply affirmative to the question you posed. Im heading out to the postoffice to get some stamps so i can get started...lmao.

Im done feeding the troll. You dont like debate you like chaos and nonsense and wont be happy until you create it. Even said so on many occassions. Find it elsewhere. The second rationality goes out the window is the second no good can possibly come from discussion. That second has passed.

"I'm running late for happy hour"

That certainly explains alot. lmao. Maybe "dad" shoulda took lil' lanse deer hunting a bit more often as per the scenario you spoke of above? lmao.

As for your ridiculous irrational rant about kids + hunting + heroin... I guess the kids have to turn into "heroin addicts" as you suggest, before you would acknowledge any problem? Because theres simply no problem exiting of any concern at all if our recruitment continues to decline. Brilliant deduction.

Naaa, SProul, this'ns nothin' but a troll trying to have a little fun with our situation. He couldnt care less about the facts here anymore than i care about wildlife management in timbuktu. HEs also not new to our forum here, he drops in from time to time strictly to stir the pot every few weeks of so.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-14-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Uhh, Cornie, you are the one that brought up the hypothetical situation where you would might have been discouraged from deer hunting if your dad had, for YEARS, come home empty handed during deer season. Who are these people who were/are/willbe coming home empty handed year after year to the point that their kids don't want to deer hunt. I'm not hearing that from the folks here, who you tend to claim are representative of attitudes in PA whenever it supports your agenda.

Don't have time to deal with some of your other weaker efforts to counter my discussion. It is a clear sign that you are on thin ice when you start resorting more to ad hominem attacks instead of sticking to the issues at hand. I'm running late for happy hour, so I will cut you loose for today. Maybe a nap would be a good idea.

Aftr some rest, why don't you get back to us with all these testimonials from the kids who dropped out of hunting and turned to heroin after years of seeing Dad come home epmty handed after weeks in the deer stand.

lanse, if there was bucks to hunt like we had driving deer or even deer like we had, no doubt more kids would hunt.but you just dont have deer and kids are not interested in sitting in woods seeing no deer.
also i agree with you on some points, women today are spoiling their boys, they are making them like sissys.they dont want husbands at camp or kids also.they are behind a lot of this too but main reason is lack of seeing deer.
i could go on but thats enough for now.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
I think you'll find many more of the lazy, success comes easy- kids in the QDM clubs. I really worry, that as my kids fast approach the hunting ages, that at this current rate,I will even be able to find enough deer to keep them interested. Forget about it being easy. Take a kid to the north big woods now, a good chance he won't even see a deer. Hunting IS and WAS a great family pasttime, and breat bonding time...but we also have all year to do that. You have a few short weeks each fall to hunt deer. A couple months if you bowhunt or hunt late season. That's it. Don't sing that song about '"t's not about the hunting" to me. For a few short weeks each year, it is definitely about the hunting, as it's the only time we can hunt them. Its' not about birdwatching, hiking, etc. All year to do those things, which we also do to varying degrees, including boy scouts of which I've been involved most of my life. I spend alot of times in the woods outside of deer season. Deer season is for deer hunting....fun and social as it may be at times. There is a threshold there of success, or atleast action/ deer sightings...that needs to be met to retain interest...especially in young/ new hunters. It doesn't help that the magazine aisle is pastered with photos of huge, steroid fed deer from QDM farms in the midwest that set our kids up for failure before they even get started. The hunting shows where the celebrity passes on half a dozen bucks your kid will probably never see the likes of, then tags a monster and never cracks a smile. Like it was hard work. Like it was just another head for the wall.Makes your kid feel ashamed to hunt hard all season and "settle" for a yearling, or "fail" to tag a deer at all. Now lower deer numbers across much of PA have turned hunting into some kind of selfish, defensive game, that has as much to do with foiling other guys' plans, as it does with outsmarting the deer. Better "wreck" the first one you see with a .300 mega magnum, because if he doesn't drop in his tracks, the guys over the hill will get him. Better scatter hair and ivory soap around that other guy's stand. There's only three deer left on this mountain, and we want to be the ones to get them. It's alright we spent hundreds of dollars between that new rifle, your gore tex, boots, license, etc. I mean...hey, you saw some cardinals and the trillium is really looking good this year. Bet you can't wait till next year. What? you'd rather stay home and play your Wii? I don't get it. Gimme a break.
I agree with your first sentence.I also agree THAT TEACHING KIDS TO HUNT BY SITTING IN A HEATED DEER SHACK OVER A FOODPLOT AIN'T HUNTING.

I dont agree with some of your other thoughts.I got lucky and slammed a spike buck at 8:00 am on the forst day of the season in 1980.Back then,it was one and done.I walked away thinking it was pretty easy.The next year,I hunted a private farm with my father and brother and we all got skunked the first day.I hunted the next two saturdays and had a group of a half dozen deer or so run past as we were eating lunch on the tailgate of a truck.That was the only deer hunting sighting I had all season.It was also the only year I failed to fill a tag.My dad didn't even let me send in for a doe tag the first two years.The next year,I saw a few deer here and there and managed to kill a doe late on the first afternnon of doe season.My deer sighting were less back then they are today on the public lands of 2G but not for one second did I ever think of giving it up.You either have that drive to be a hunter or you don't.The hunters that started during the 90's had it easy,plain and simple.That's how they came into it and that's what they expect.I kinds feel sorry for those guys.I hunted through the years when killing a deer was a true accomplishement and had over a decade where it was so easy that it was actually anti-climatic.Come hell or highwater,I'll be out there and I'll appreciate the challenge.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought you said increased hunting pressure made hunting better?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Banned

"I also agree THAT TEACHING KIDS TO HUNT BY SITTING IN A HEATED DEER SHACK OVER A FOODPLOT AIN'T HUNTING."

I would agree as well. Thats not hunting imo.

Bluebird2, you have a pm.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doug,back in 80 there were deer everywhere.I was hunting in Potter at the time then started hunting Clearfield on the Saturdays inbetween and then doe season.I remember my first hunt in Clearfield on the first Saturday.My buddy and me both saw well over 40 deer.I'm sure I saw some of the deer he saw but man it was loaded back then.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Typical Buck

There is a happy medium between working your arse off and not seeing a deer in two weeks...and sitting on your lucky stump opening day and seeing fity by lunchtime. I don't really care for either extreme....

Quick Reply: Are we losing sight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.