Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Are we losing sight?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pats102862
Unfortunatly for some here it was, is and always will be about filling the tags.
this is what is pitting a lot of hunters to vent here, i am one of them.........
it upsets me to see hunters in crews, i will use them for example come into area knowing that only a few deer are left and shoot those few deer including a fawn.to get other hunters in crew EXCITED ,1 with thick glasses says to me,SPROUL I SAW 20 DEER IN HERE IN THE INLINE SEASONhe was one with THICK glasses down on end of his nose and going to HARVARD.i also have thick glasses too
when we were in high school we were very proud to show our buck off.you never showed a DOE off or even discussed it.
you talked about hunt, foot prints of buck and how he doubled back on you and you did not get a clear shot.you showed pics of your crew and good times.

today a kid goes to school and says,I SHOT A DOE AND BOY I GOT LOTS OF DEER BOLOGNAhe/she is very proud ,deer jerky.
this is how times have changed.i was out this year and i only saw 1 kid at 12 yrs old hunting, IT WAS MY BROTHERS SON.
you know what he said to uncle sproul, I DONT WANT TO SHOOT A DOE.............that shocked me, first year hunting too.
when you are trying to SAVE doe so you have few deer next year and see all these TAGS and new weapons and long seasons to kill doe,it does make you very mad because you know it is ruining our hunting in areas where there are very few deer left.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted four hard years before I took my first buck at age 15.
My older brother hunted TWELVE years before he took his first buck.
This was back when we would see 25 deer in a group and not a legal buck in the group. I know that parents and mentors want to provide some gratification...and FAST, to their young studys. But this isn't always the best thing. I think that we are raising a lazy, uncommitted, dis-interested crop of younger hunters in many cases. The good times of being in the wild with family, and participating in a primal activity together is what it was always all about. Not killing a deer NEVER disappointed me, even early on. I was always a happy hunter and sad when the hunt ended, no matter the bounty or lack therof.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

I think filling a tag is secondary. Myself, it took me 4 years to harvest my first deer, which was a buck. The previous years before that I spent seeing some deer, screwing up on them, and catching he11 from my older brother for screwing up.

Seeing deer, not killing them, is what made and makes me tick to this day. If it wasn't for seeing deer during the firearms season and seeing small game during the small game season, I would have been on the football field instead of the hunting field.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Banned

Whether the harvest is first, second, or third in importance to a hunter doesnt make much difference.

An "antideer" type management scheme which needlessly greatly reduces harvest as well as sightings etc. is not a hunter friendly one.

If anyone could disagree with that assessment, then I feel that they have little need to have a weapon with them in the woods and be a "hiker" or nature observeer, as they would be just as happy without that harvest or opportunity to do so.

The quality of hunting isnt generally gauged by how many trillium are on yonder hillside whilst sitting there not caring about any deer that may or may not come by. lol.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-14-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will continue to carry my weapons, thank you very much.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

One reason I feel we are not getting the credibility we deserve as hunters is they way we put forth our side of the argument.

Remember the Alt side show? "Hunters" showing up in dressed like redneck hillbillies going to their sisters a shot gun wedding.

The people that opposed this plan from the start did so through scrams , threats and intimidation. Not exactly how educated folks carry on a conversation.Remember the jokes about Dr. Alt wearing a bullet proof vest? Yea like we are going get taken seriously, by whom?

Now that we are years into it and its obvious to most that adjustments need made we are ignored or worse called greedy blood thirsty killers that care nothing about the environment.

We need to act as "one" and a far better "one" than has been leading the charge, the pendulum swings both ways and its about time it starts back the other way.

But please when you speak, If you must, be polite,be informed and act as if you are talking to your mother instead of a child molester. No one wants screamed at, and you will change no ones mind by comparing them to tofu.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Banned

Liv, I didnt say you shouldnt. But I dont know why you'd bother with the extra weight.

"The good times of being in the wild with family, and participating in a primal activity together is what it was always all about. Not killing a deer NEVER disappointed me, even early on."

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-14-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Banned

"One reason I feel we are not getting the credibility we deserve as hunters is they way we put forth our side of the argument."

And i strongly disagree. The reason we arent listened to is because of the people and the agendas involved and it doesnt matter if we were all the biggest gypsies on the face of the earth speaking slang through our 3 teeth or if we were all rocket scientists dressed in bowties speaking to pgc in Latin. Our goals are not conducive to current pgc goals and they wouldnt be no matter how "polished" we are. I also dont see alot of other states disciminating agains the "dumb hunters" in their states. Most make hunting itself a high priority.

"Remember the jokes about Dr. Alt wearing a bullet proof vest?"

Its called a sense of humor. And it in no way diminishes the real and very obviously intellectual posts/statements that show the deer program a complete failure and farce. As for alt, it cant help but be funny. Its so outrageous a situation and extreme you cant help but laugh, especially since no harm came to the guy anyway. When a deer program is so extreme it forces the "head" of it to fear for his life, you know your state has severe management issues.

"Yea like we are going get taken seriously, by whom?"

Tell me again....How long has it been since pgc had a fee increase? And exactly why is that? Because someone took us and the situation seriously.

"We need to act as "one" and a far better "one" than has been leading the charge, the pendulum swings both ways and its about time it starts back the other way."

Agreed. Especially about the pendulum. But just saying that it should, in passing, and letting it go from there isnt gonna change that one way momentum.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-14-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

We were hunting. You need a weapon or it is called hiking. We have killed things on occasion. Sometimes we even doubled or tripled out. Sometimes we got nothing.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Banned

Nothing wrong with hiking either. I do quite a bit of it without a weapon during off season. Though Id refer to it more as scouting.

As for hunting, I cant say its all about the family & friends, because Id hunt even if i didnt have any. lol. They make things very enjoyable on alot of hunts and its definately something most including myself wouldnt want to give up, but I also hunt alone on many hunts by choice. I cant say its all about "nature" though thats definately a big part. Thats what its all about the REST OF THE YEAR.

Its a combination of things, and harvest and sightings are a big piece of that picture. And I believe that true for anyone walking out with a gun or bow in their hand.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-14-2009 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Are we losing sight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.