Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pileated woodpecker damage

Old 06-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pileated woodpecker damage

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: hatchet jack

They are a cool bird though! Love watching them do their thing when I'm in the spring Turkey woods, hunting Turkeys and scouting deer patterns for the fall!! LOL!!!

Hatchet Jack
kids laugh when i call them a PECKERHEAD
Now thats funny!!!LOL

Hatchet Jack
Old 06-04-2009, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: hatchet jack

They are a cool bird though! Love watching them do their thing when I'm in the spring Turkey woods, hunting Turkeys and scouting deer patterns for the fall!! LOL!!!

Hatchet Jack
kids laugh when i call them a PECKERHEADS
That's a good one jpk
Old 06-11-2009, 03:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

The wood pecker is eating bugs, get rid of them and the problem is solved. If not the bugs will destroy the shack from the inside out.

There is no doubt that they can dom alot of damage that is for sure. Sometimes they do that to get at bugs but other times? I am not so sure about it. There was one around here that used to go and peck at my next door nieghbors stove pipe. I do not think he was getting any bugs from it but he would still peck on it. Sometimes once a day and other days a couple of times a day. It was very annoying as he did that for most of a summer. He hasn't been around banging on that pipe for a couple of years now though. I still will see one every once in a while though. I just couldn't figure out why it would set there and bang on that stove pipe though..
Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

All woodpeckers will use a method know as drumming, where they will hammer out a sequence of taps on a hollow tree, pipe, slate roof or some other object that can be heard over a great distance. That is how they attract their mate. They use the same system as turkeys gobbling or grouse drumming but yet different in that they use an object that helps increase the volume and thus distance of their drumming calls.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 06-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

we are finding woodpeckers with heads missing.my neighbor says his neighbor shoots them with bird shot,they are always fighting,i dont believe that ,its not true.i think a OWL or HAWK is killing those woodpeckers.someone said owl will take head.i also find grouse with heads missing and usually inside is missing.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Yup owls do that. One year at camp my brother came home from the service to do some deer hunting and his service job was to teach survival training for the navy seals. He brought along a couple of rabbits to show me how they were taught to capture wild rabbits and clean and prepare them to eat in a survival mode. We decided to keep them in an enclosed area so we made a small fence and left them there so we could get them the next day and have a rabbit stew. The next morning we went out there and they were dead with the heads missing. He said it was an owl. we never knew for sure but there was a limit as to what could have gotten them.A coon or fox wouldn't have been able to get over the fence so it had to fly in and it happened at night so owl is probably the culprit.