Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Old 05-30-2009, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Good job, once again, of ducking the point. I put it just that way because thats how you did it. BTW there was another choice too!.
Wrong again!! I combined the top two categories and compared them to the bottom two categories which is the rational , unbiased way to do it. You combined the topic 3 categories and compared it to the single lowest category ,which is biased and irrational.

I suppose you think the fact that the PGC is being sued and audit is a sign the majority of the hunters are happy with seeing 40% fewer deer and harvesting 40 % fewer bucks. Maybe we should make more hunters happy by cutting the elk herd, and the bear and turkey population by 40%!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bluebird: Obviously I wouldn't have the data to provide stats on percentages of Pa hunters hunting 2-5 miles from the NY border from Wellsville Ny to Hancock NY. I sense that is why you asked for it. Hunting for trophy buck has so many intangibles, that if your pursuit relies solely on stats, more often than not, you will not be successful. All I have is word of mouth from hunters who do so. By " half-way decent experience" I mean that though some aren't taking those trophies, they're seeing them, or someone from their group is seeing/taking them. And yes, it even means just being out there enjoying themselves, regardless of the results.

One question I have for you, BB: Do you hunt the area that I am referencing?
Old 05-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

What % of hunters in Pa. hunt within 2-5 miles of the NY border? That's where I hunt, from south of Wellsville ny to south of Hancock NY. I dare say MOST of hunters actually HUNTING this region have had at minimal, half-way decent experience, especially the past 5-6 years.

I do and have since 1960: From the area south of Wellsville, NY(between Genesee and Ulysses), east to the area south of Troupsburg, NY. That'd be NE Potter and NW Tioga counties in PA. Agree that the past 5-6 years have been much better in the nice bucks department, than at any previous time since 1960. Just the experience I and others who hunt there have had. Anyone else's experiences may be different?

Fewer deer therenow, than in the peak period of the late 90s. Roughly about the same deer numbers we hadby the mid-80s, prior to the population peak beginningthereabouts. Where I once could see upwards of 120 deer while spotlighting prior to firearms seasons in the late 90s, now seeing closer to 60 to 80 deer per night. Same spotlighting route for that "count", forat least the past 35 years, btw.

Now have more nice bucks, than at any time since I've been hunting there. I equate nice bucks with those having at least 8 points anda 17" or better spread. Such bucks were once trophies for that area, now arefar more common. Much nicer bucks at the local big buck contests over the past 5-6 years, too. The 20" 10 pt with average massthat might've won back in the 90s, won't getcha an honorable mention now.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Good job, once again, of ducking the point. I put it just that way because thats how you did it. BTW there was another choice too!.
Wrong again!! I combined the top two categories and compared them to the bottom two categories which is the rational , unbiased way to do it. You combined the topic 3 categories and compared it to the single lowest category ,which is biased and irrational.

I suppose you think the fact that the PGC is being sued and audit is a sign the majority of the hunters are happy with seeing 40% fewer deer and harvesting 40 % fewer bucks. Maybe we should make more hunters happy by cutting the elk herd, and the bear and turkey population by 40%!!!
Wrong again yourself!
All you did was repeatthe same spin again.

Once again, You keep on ducking the fact that you have no real facts to support yourerroneous claimthat most hunters have experienced a decline in the quality of our deer hunting.

No answer to the fact that a "fair" response to the survey could very well also mean fair but better than it was which is what we hear from plenty of hunters everywhere.

It's OK to have an opinion. Just admit that that's all it is, your opinion
Old 05-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you DENNYF. My experience, exactly.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

Gee, that was good to see in pasted form.I was loosin' track.

That there have been two lawsuits from the same group that encouraged morelegislative meddling in gamemanagementand now an audit decreed by that legislature, is more an indication of the inmates stilltrying to takecontrol of the asylum, than anything else.

[:'(]

Thank you DENNYF. My experience, exactly.

And alsothe experience of just about everyone else I know, thathunts in those areas. Haven't killed a "much nicer buck" theremyself yet, but I've seen several of them and hope to, one of these years. There are two such beauties in the next valley over from camp and have been for the past two seasons. As of thefinal day of firearms season last year, both were still on the hoof. Had one of 'emin the binocs on that last day, pretty spiffy buck.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once again, You keep on ducking the fact that you have no real facts to support your erroneous claim that most hunters have experienced a decline in the quality of our deer hunting.
Wrong again. The harvest data proves beyond a doubt that the majority of hunters have experienced a decline in the quality of their hunting experience. The majority of hunters are seeing a lot fewer deer, they are seeing fewer bucks and they are harvesting fewer buck and doe. Even though there is a higher percentage of 2.5+ buck being harvested , less than 3% of the hunters are benefiting by harvesting a 2.55+ buck saved by ARs.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting for trophy buck has so many intangibles, that if your pursuit relies solely on stats, more often than not, you will not be successful.
How would one pursue trophy buck based solely on stats?

No, I do not hunt that area but I quite familiar with the area and I know a lot of hunters who do hunt that general area that have quite different opinion than you. Wayne Co. is not noted for big bucks and there is only one entry in the first hundred record rifle bucks and that was ranked in the 70s.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

As you stated Bluebird, Wayne co. is not noted for big buck, nor has it EVER been noted for such. Additionally, it is at the furthest eastern border of area I mentioned. Why pick just Wayne co.? I let the entire northern tier within 2-5 miles of the NY border speak for itself, as that is the REGION I speak of. I'm sure there are townships within that region that have never produced a B&C.

Let me give you a big hint: As I said earlier, big mistake relying on stats.

I do, however, revel in those that paint the picture you state as far as Pa. trophy potential. I agree: Hunters, don't waste your time. .LOL
Old 05-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: crokit

Let me give you a big hint: As I said earlier, big mistake relying on stats.

I do, however, revel in those that paint the picture you state as far as Pa. trophy potential. I agree: Hunters, don't waste your time. .LOL
Yeah, no trophy potential here in WMU 3D either.

oops, what was he doing running around on public hunting land.

Quick Reply: PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.