Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Old 06-14-2009, 02:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Yano, here's a better view of a state comparison. I expanded on the PA/NY/VA thing and included some surrounding states that border VA.

I sorted the spreadsheet by number of deer harvested in 2008. PA has more deer harvested an the other states, followed by VA.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Typical Buck

ButchA:
Cool spread sheet,,,,im really surprised in Md's #'s both in hunter #'s and deer killed,,,i would have xpected more of both
Old 06-14-2009, 03:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rem700,

I know... I thought Maryland would have a lot more deer harvested too. What is real shocking is seeing the results from WV!

I went onto each states' hunting website and got the 2008 deer harvest figure. Then by using that other website I foundhttp://www.nssf.org/07report/compare.cfm , I got the info on resident hunters, non-resident hunters, etc... and finally did some number crunching to get a percentage of success for resident hunters.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 AM
Typical Buck

Im gonna save that sight,,,i always wondered how many non-res. hunters Va. had
Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

What gets me is the number of non-resident hunters in Pennsylvania! Both resident and non-resident numbers are incredible! Everybody in that state must hunt or if not, be related to a hunter! LOL...

I wonder if they still close schools on opening day deer season? [8D]

Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 AM
Spike

Butch,

These links might prove real interesting to you.

US Fish And Wildlife Service National License Certification Report (use HTML at the output and 5200 as the Grant Program):
http://faims.fws.gov/reports/rwservl...020&program=25

PGC Website:
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=511&q=159015
Old 06-14-2009, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

yeah,,,schools still shut down and hey,,,where my dad worked it was considered that the 1st week of rifle season was a holiday,,,along with alot of other businesses in the area,,,thats why i find it so depressing that Pa. is going thru this debacle with the deer mgmt problem. as you stated earlier,,,Pa. was kind of the backbone of hunting in the U.S for many many years,,,now it's known nationwide for what not to do in wildlife mgmt
Old 06-14-2009, 04:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: yano

Butch,

These links might prove real interesting to you.

US Fish And Wildlife Service National License Certification Report (use HTML at the output and 5200 as the Grant Program):
http://faims.fws.gov/reports/rwservlet?faimskeys&report=fwri0020&progra m=25

PGC Website:
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=511&q=159015
Whoa... Thanks, yano... Thanks! Those links are excellent!

Edit: Rem700, that what I figured. I remember one of my older sisters used to date a guy from PA. From what I remember from back in the 70's, he used to joke that it was a requirement that every boy in PA has to pick up a rifle and go hunting!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rem700man

most hunters didnt realize what was happening and that doc. alt did understand because doc. alt knew that if he gave the hunters enough rope to hang themselves they would,,,he played on hunter greed and he was right!
Now there is not enough deer to feed their addiction. Looks like the days of easy killing is over. Any body who is not afraid to spend day in the woods over the course of a few days will have goodsuccess. The guys riding around back roads 5mph in pickups are going to be jonesing, and the guys who leave the woods and run to the diner at ten, well, they will be eating ham and eggs instead of venision. Hunting here at home today is like it was when I started in the 70s, see two deer a day for a whole day in the woods. This is why This so called crisis is no big deal to me. Its like the old days. The only difference I see is the young bucks look like they have the potential to be trophys in a few years, maybe is because they get better nutrition, just my thought.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

Pats:
It's not the "hard hunting" and lack of deer sightings that upset me either,,,what bothers me is the times when you would be able to go spotlighting deer the weekend after thanksgiving in excitement of the upcoming mondays opening day and everywhere you looked were hunters in preparation of the hunt,,,,camps filled with cars and trucks,,,family and friends having a great experience at camp together,,,,visiting other camps and socializing talking about what the 1st day/week may yield. the past 5 yrs i just hav'nt seen that,,,,instead i hear and read about the disappointments of hunters,,,and the camps are now empty in comparison of earlier years,,,it's the lack of excitement about the upcoming season that bothers me

Quick Reply: PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.