Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Old 06-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Spike

Default RE: PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Anyone happen to know what PA's and VA's Game & Fish Commission budgets are?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Yano:
I got this from the vadgif website,,,states there that they have an operational budget for FY2009 of 51.3 million. I did the same search for Pa. and found nothing but budget constraint headlines,,,i must admit that im not a very computer friendly user so i would imagine that theres other guys on this forum that could find the correct info quicker,,,,,thats a great question tho,,,,id also like to know the answer
Old 06-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Banned

Funny thing is, Virginia is much more hunter friendly managementwise, and apparently they are better at handling cash. In Pa the game and fish management are not combined like VA.

In Pa in o6/07 annual report Pgc (GAME management alone) collected and credited to their game fund 75,031,189. And they are crying "poor mouth" Lmao.

75million for a commission that only deals with wildlife + Versus 51.3 million in Va that goes for fish +wildlife. Didnt bother looking it up, but if you account for the funding at the Pa fish commission so both fish and game are covered like in Virginias 51 mil....You'd be adding another helluva big chunk to that 75 million in Pa management... Well I dont think anyone need be a rocket scientist to see thats one helluva difference either way
.[:'(]

These days, all the pgc does is screw us over, whine for money then repeat, when we have more funding than most other TWO states combined for game and fish management....and satisfaction is in the dirt, lowest in the nation Yet they feel they "deserve" a fee increase because they can name a few of the best hunting states in the nation who might charge a bit more than us for a base license fee!! What a joke. On the other hand, you have Virginia where everyones happy as clams and operating on a fraction of the funding.

Bet Virginia doesnt have its own little crew of "greenies" that go from board to board on the internet and newspaper article to letters to the editor, trying to do damage control either....

Ive heard Pa called Pennsyltucky, but Id say huntingwise and managementwise these days we are more like Pennsyl-fornia or Pennsyl-jersey. When you have nonhunter friendly factions managing GAME animals in a state who couldnt care less about the sport of hunting, its not gonna be a good situation. Its common sense and it is that simple.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Spike

Thanks. So it appears that PA's Combined Game & Fish expense budget is probably close to 2 times that of VA's. Hasn't VA had a working "Point of Sale" System for a couple of years now, and PA is just getting theirs started?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cornelius.... I have some free time this morning (since I'm off work) to do some comparisons, for whatever its worth:

Pennsylvania
Land size: 46,055 sq miles.
Population: 12,488,279.
Total # of sportsmen: 1.4 million (hunting & fishing, resident & non-resident combined)
2008 deer harvest: 335,840
Money spent by sportsmen: $3.5 billion to support 51,000 jobs.

Virginia
Land size: 42,774 sq miles.
Population: 7,769,089
Total # of sportsmen: 857,000 (hunting & fishing, resident & non-resident combined)
2008 deer harvest: 253,678
Money spent by sportsmen: $1.3 billion to support 24,000 jobs.

Edit: yano, I think I know you!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Look at that! 26 mins and 11secs. later cornelius had the stats "that boy is on it"! And still had time to shed light on the fact that the fish and game are combined,,,(here in Va) I must say that he is right also in assuming that hunters are happy with the current regulations,,,The vdgif told us last year " If you guys/Gals dont start hammering some does in the northern Va area,,,were gonna have to hire (Exterminaters) to do the job,,,,i can tell ya,,,,we did the job,,,,i am still seein some deer hit on the roads here,,,but not like years prior and yet i (think) everyone knew when to cut it off and let the does have their fawns,,,2 yrs ago i heard guys say that they were cleaning does with fawns in their bellys,,,,not one this year because i think guys hit the doe earlier to avoid having this happen,,,and i also believe that this works out due to the "earn a buck program" where you had to shoot a doe in order to shoot a second buck. But enough about Va hunting,,,i have to try the local lake out ,,,,theres a cold front coming in and im betting that the bass will want to feed up on whats in my tackle box tonight
Old 06-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ButchA

Cornelius.... I have some free time this morning (since I'm off work) to do some comparisons, for whatever its worth:

Pennsylvania
Total # of sportsmen: 1.4 million (hunting & fishing, resident & non-resident combined)

Virginia
Total # of sportsmen: 857,000 (hunting & fishing, resident & non-resident combined)

Assuming all the sportsman deer hunt, Pa. deer harvest success rate is 24% and Va. is29.5%, So your chances of killing a deer in Va. is 5.5% better than in Pa.I am not running to Va. for 5.5%
Old 06-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Spike

Pennsylvania

Virginia

Yano don't know exactly how long VA's Point of Sale system has been in place. I do think it's somewhere between 2 to 5 years, but don't know exactly.

What Yano would really like to know is:

1. The total number of VA Hunters in 2008. I seem to remember seeing either a 350k or 250k number floating around somewhere, but I looked high and low and can't find a definate number.

2. What is the source of your "sportsman data" in your post on PA's and VA's numbers?

I must have ol Al K. Hall to thank for my great memory, hey?
Old 06-13-2009, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: yano

1. The total number of VA Hunters in 2008. I seem to remember seeing either a 350k or 250k number floating around somewhere, but I looked high and low and can't find a definate number.

2. What is the source of your "sportsman data" in your post on PA's and VA's numbers?
Here: http://www.nssf.org/07report/compare.cfm

I was wrong with the resident/non-resident description. It's all solid "resident" and is total sportsman (hunting & fishing). But... you can filter it even more to look at HUNTING money spent and number of HUNTERS, ...i.e. not total sportsman.

The state data info, I simply grabbed off the internet (Google, wikipedia, US Census, etc..)

The deer harvest info, I grabbed of each states' hunting website (PGC, VA DGIF).

Corrected data:

Number of resident hunters in PA: 933,000
Money spent by hunters in PA: $1.7 billion
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Number of resident hunters in VA: 352,000
Money spent by hunters in VA: $529 million

Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 AM
Spike

I was wrong with the resident/non-resident description. It's all solid "resident" and is total sportsman (hunting & fishing). But... you can filter it even more to look at HUNTING money spent and number of HUNTERS, ...i.e. not total sportsman.

The state data info, I simply grabbed off the internet (Google, wikipedia, US Census, etc..)

The deer harvest info, I grabbed of each states' hunting website (PGC, VA DGIF).

Corrected data:

Number of resident hunters in PA: 933,000
Money spent by hunters in PA: $1.7 billion
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Number of resident hunters in VA: 352,000
Money spent by hunters in VA: $529 million

Thanks!
Soooo then:
PA's actual success rate per resident hunter is == 36%
and
VA's actual success rate per resident hunter is == 72%

Since VA's reported harvest is an actual reported harvest and since PA adds a ~60% non-reporting rate fudge factor, then comparing aples to apples:
VA's "adjusted" 2008 Harvest would be == 405,885
VA's "adjusted" success rate per resident hunter would be == 1.15

And of course that's assuming me and Al K. Hall didn't happen to make any cyphering errors.

Quick Reply: PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.