Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Last Day Gobbler

Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Last Day Gobbler

Today is the last day of the Pa turkey season. I've had a long season, i was lucky because i could hunt just about every morning and i have called in 10 longbeards through out the season but could not close the deal. Then today i had a bird below me gobbling on a gas line but he followed the hens the other way so i went to circle around him. As i was walking through the field i thought i heard a gobble so i made a call and heard a gobble out in front of me towards an old abandoned barn less than a hundred yards away. Lucky for me there were still round bales in the field so got closer to the barn and set behind a round bale. I made another call and heard his gobble alot closer and seconds later i saw him struting about 70 yards away i couldnt see his beard but knew he wasn't a jake because i could see his full fan. I made a few calls and he strutted down by the barn and then started to parallel me which i thought was about 50yds. Then hen was pulling him away so i decided i needed to shoot a soon as he came in the opening i clucked and he put his head up for the last time, i shot and he dropped like a ton of bricks i tagged him at 8:15 am. I stepped it off at 55yds here is a pic of him he is only a two year old 3/4 spurs and a 9 inch beard. I had already passed him a week earlier but he will do just fine for the last day.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Last Day Gobbler

Congratulations for sticking it out to the end and harvesting a good bird and a well deserved bird![/align]
Old 05-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Spike

Way to go congrats.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nicely done, persistance pays off!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice.. way to stay persistant! Congrats.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Way to go and a great bird. Last day....talk about cutting it close.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the last day bird.

I walked back about 400 yards into a neighbor's land on Monday morning, then decided to head out along his fencerow that overlooks a plowed field, with another neighbor's woods about 200 yards distant, to finish out the season. Probably about 10:00AM when I got set up in thefencerow and started to call. Usually a pretty good spot for turkeys in the spring. Called-out a nice gobbler there last year, but he had several hens and would not come across the field. Wound up feeding in it, but too far to shoot.

All I attracted this trip,were 3 tourists, one in a white t-shirt. Thought I was hearing things when I heard some voices. Then an adult and two lanky teens popped out into the field from down over the hill, about 200 yards away and headed into the woods across the plowed field. No idea who they were or where they'd come from? Last thing I expected to see that morning, in that location.

[:'(]
Old 05-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes the harder ya work at something the luckier you get!

Congrats on the bird and Kudos for sticking with it