Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WV Sunday Hunting Facebook Group

Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

Default WV Sunday Hunting Facebook Group

Today I created a Facebook group titled, "Allow Sunday hunting in WV". If you hunt WV and are on Facebook please feel free and sign up and show your support for Sunday hunting in WV.

Thanks,

Bryan Cox
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
BDC
Fork Horn

Default RE: WV Sunday Hunting Facebook Group

EDIT: Allow Sunday Hunting in West Virginia. To find this group on facebook search West Virginia must be spelled.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are barking up the wrong tree there BDC. The state already repealed the restriction on Sunday hunting. Sunday hunting is legal in WV and has been for years. The problem is soon after the state did the right thing (under then governor Bob Wise) most COUNTIES passed referendums on their own outlawing hunting in that particular county. The COUNTY administrators in YOUR COUNTY are to blame. There are still a couple of counties that allow hunting but not many. Dumb Arse Hillbillies...Idiots.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Remember also that the Sunday hunting that was agreed upon was on "private land only with written permission." My home county has not and supposedly does not intend to put it on the ballots. I am told that those counties that repealed it worded the hunting option like this..."Are you in favor of Sunday hunting in -------- County" with no mention of the restricted to private land issue. Someday it will be legal when insurance companies get into the act. Just my opinion.

Jim
Old 05-22-2009, 05:53 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

We had the referendum here in Braxton County regarding the State's repeal of Sunday Hunting. It was worded exactly like redmag has stated. No options were given in regards to bow hunting only etc. This referendum IMO purposely was put on a non presidental (MAY) election that usually has a low voter turn out. Most people voting in these elections are your retired folk who do not want to see change. Hunters were lazy. They did not come out and vote. I have to include myself.

Insurance companies are not to blame in this case. It is the Farm Burea. Insurance companies would love to see a decrease in deer population and Sunday hunting could allow that to happen for them. The Farm Burea came out against Sunday hunting and scared alot of legislators because of there large group of supporters. Most people though, myself included, belong to the Farm Burea to get the $ 100.00 of their Nationwide Auto Insuracne. lol They hardly represent my way of thinking in anything they support. I also have a farm.

I don't think I am barking up the wrong tree. We still have options. The State owns the animals and dictates what we do on our private property. Referendums can be put back on the ballots. (which will be happening soon in a couple of counties from what I understand) The only way counties that have voted against Sunday hunting will get it back is if the people want it.

Still, there needs to be more dialog regarding Sunday hunting in WV. People need to understand that it's just another activity. The facebook page is just a "grassroots" effort to get people talking about this issure again. I had to name it Allow Sunday hunting in WV because many people do not understand what happend a few years ago. So far, nearly sixty people joined in just one week. People are talking and hopefully this will aid in getting more support for Sunday hunting.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I applaud your efforts bdc. I just wanted to make sure you were informed about how it actually worked. Sorry if you misunderstood me. Surprisingly, there were a lot of conservative groups throughout the state that opposed sunday hunting in their county. Churches were another big one. I actually had some people tell me that "the sound of gunfire would drown out the preacher''...how stupid can a person be....obviously, very. It's a shame that hunters have to suffer because of such ignorance. I hope your campaighn helps and please keep us updated if any counties do overturn their original vote....I just highly doubt that, in a state as politically backward as ours, it will ever happen.

I live in a county that borders an open hunting county and sometimes hunt there on Sundays. I appreciate the opportunity. However, my home county (hardy), where I'm a part owner of two farms, does not "allow" it. Sucks because many hard working 9-5ers there with just one day to hunt. As for me personally. If I got the itch to hunt on my land on Sunday, I'd do it regardless of what the law says. I wonder if state dnr agents even enforce county laws like this. regardless, to hell with that law.

Good luck.